- Egypt rights center raided, 2 Mubaraks acquitted
- New Mexico Supreme Court rules same-sex marriage constitutional
- Blame Bush: 5 years later, that’s still the mantra, pollsters find
- Dutch prostitutes demand same retirement benefits as soccer stars
- John McCain to Harry Reid: I’ll ‘kick the crap’ out of you
- Dogs that talk: Researchers seek $10K for ‘No More Woof’ technology
- 1,000 firefighters called to battle stubborn Big Sur wildfire
- Black Friday brouhaha: Millions of Target shoppers hit by credit card theft
- Britain orders airplane to rescue citizens from violent South Sudan
- Mega Millions winner emerges as Georgia mom, in ‘disbelief’
Redskins’ Kory Lichtensteiger likely sidelined for the season
Offensive lineman suffers extensive damage to knee
Question of the Day
Perched awkwardly on a folding chair, Kory Lichtensteiger tugged a black sock onto his right foot.
His face was red. A pair of crutches leaned on his locker at FedEx Field. His right leg, bent at the knee, was frozen in place. The simple act of pulling on a sock looked agonizing for the Washington Redskins‘ left guard.
A hit away from the football on the Redskins‘ fourth offensive play against the Philadelphia Eagles on Sunday likely ended Lichtensteiger’s season, infuriated teammates and pushed the team’s offensive line into disarray. That the Eagles won only accentuated the discomfort.
Fellow lineman Will Montgomery confirmed Lichtensteiger tore the anterior cruciate and medial collateral ligaments in his right knee. Lichtensteiger will miss the remainder of the season, a source said.
Nearby, second-year left tackle Trent Williams hobbled with a high right ankle sprain that knocked him out of the game. The injuries pushed Erik Cook and Sean Locklear into action, moved Montgomery from center to left guard and used up what little offensive line depth the Redskins owned.
Williams — who mumbled off his own injury with a half-hearted “I’m fine” — blamed Eagles‘ defensive end Daryl Tapp for Lichtensteiger’s damaged knee. After the play, Williams drew a personal foul for his involvement in an altercation. Two plays earlier he was called for holding, too.
Even Cook wasn’t healthy, after he strained his calf during pregame warm-ups and wasn’t supposed to play. But the seventh-round pick by the Redskins in 2010 took pulled in a deep breath, then jogged into his first regular-season game.
“I was excited, nervous, every emotion possible,” Cook said.
Locklear, the tackle who started 15 of 16 games last season for the Seattle Seahawks, completed the patchwork line. And there was no alternative to Cook gutting out the game, no matter the condition of his calf. The only other offensive lineman on the 53-man roster is Willie Smith, a rookie from East Carolina who was inactive on Sunday.
The line’s sudden turnover could have been blamed, in part, for a running game that managed 42 yards on 14 carries.
“It seemed like we just couldn’t get into that rhythm for one reason or another. I don’t know why,” Montgomery said. “It’s a little bit off. Guys are dropping like flies. I’m not going to use that as an excuse. It sucks today, right now.
Lichtensteiger understands. Face still red, the lineman heaved himself up from the chair, wedged crutches under his arms and scooted away.
© Copyright 2013 The Washington Times, LLC. Click here for reprint permission.
About the Author
- In court filing, NCAA denies legal duty to protect athletes
- FENNO: Indignation is all Mike Shanahan has left
- FENNO: Honestly, Mike Shanahan, why should we believe you now?
- Robert Griffin III surprised at being benched by Mike Shanahan
- FENNO: High schooler Chris Cotillo balances MLB scoops, Spanish homework
Latest Blog Entries
President Obama can't even organize a proper whitewash
- Calling prison term disparities unfair, Obama commutes sentences for 8 crack offenders
- Gov't wasted $30 billion on 'pillownauts,' crystal goblets -- buying human urine!
- Homeland Security helps smuggle illegal immigrant children into the U.S.
- Bill Gates: The Secret Santa disguised as a 'friendly fellow' on Reddit
- Obamacare 'pajamas boy' gets roundly mocked
- Duck Dynasty Phil Robertson suspended indefinitely for gay quip
- Armed response, not restrictive gun laws, brought swift end to school shooting
- U.S. Army mulls wiping out memory of Robert E. Lee, 'Stonewall' Jackson
- Special ops vets slam military benefit cuts
- BOLTON: Nero in the White House
Independent voices from the The Washington Times Communities
Top 10 handguns in the U.S.
Extraordinary day at Redskins Park
White House pets gone wild!
Let it snow