Continued from page 1

“As the father of a Gulf War veteran and someone who spent four years on active duty in the United States Army, I am thrilled to be given a chance to serve Nevada’s veterans on the House Committee on Veterans‘ Affairs,” he said.

Mr. Turner was a Specialist in the Army from 1962-1965. He was stationed at Fort Polk, La.

“As a veteran myself, I will respect our government’s sacred duty to treat all veterans of the United States Armed Forces with dignity and respect in light of their shared sacrifices in the name of our liberty and freedom,” Mr. Turner said. “I am honored to have been asked to serve on the House Committee on Veterans‘ Affairs and I look forward to working with Chairman Jeff Miller and my fellow committee members to ensure that these honorable individuals are protected.”

“With the addition of Reps. Amodei and Turner, the committee is full,” Mr. Miller said. “We are working on many important issues right now that will directly impact the lives of our veterans for the better, such as helping unemployed veterans find work and turning the corner on the disability claims backlog. Having Mark and Bob on our team adds to our chorus of voices to protect those who have served our great nation.”

The new members will join the next full committee hearing on Oct. 12.

• Kudos to Applebee’s, who will again say thank you to our nation’s veterans and active duty military by inviting them to their neighborhood Applebee’s for a free meal on Veterans Day, Friday, Nov. 11.

Applebee’s initiated this program nationwide for the first time two years ago. As a result, the restaurant has provided more than a million free meals annually.

Proof of service includes the following: U.S. Uniform Services Identification Card, U.S. Uniform Services Retired Identification Card, Current Leave and Earnings Statement, Veterans Organization Card, photograph in uniform or wearing uniform, DD214, Citation or Commendation.

Send letters to Sgt. Shaft, c/o John Fales, P.O. Box 65900, Washington, D.C. 20035-5900; fax 301/622-3330, call 202/257-5446 or email