- John Podesta eats crow: ‘I apologize to Speaker Boehner’
- U.S., China race to finish line on ‘invisibility cloak’
- Obama ‘cavalier’ in hiding foreign aid order, judge rules
- Prince Charles: Muslims are driving Christians from Mideast through persecution
- Gitmo’s first commander: Close the prison down
- Google’s newest photography find: Just wink and shoot
- Detroit’s Heidelberg art project hit by 8 fires in 8 months
- Pa. police pull people over for random DNA tests for feds
- NASA pushing hard to get back into space game
- Harvard student to face federal charges for bomb hoax
Inside the Beltway
Question of the Day
MIDDLE CLASS UPRISING
Former “green jobs czar” Van Jones hopes to ally the progressive cause with the middle class, using a page or two from the tea party playbook, perhaps. His “Take Back the American Dream” conference gets under way in Washington on Monday, opening with a morning discussion of the ongoing Wall Street protests and culminating with a rally for “the unemployed, working people and activist leaders” at the U.S. Capitol on Wednesday.
Mr. Jones founded his Rebuild the Dream group earlier this year, complete with a “Contract for the American Dream” public petition and the support of nearly 80 progressive and liberal groups, from MoveOn.org to Planned Parenthood. Event organizers say “there is a real middle-class uprising sweeping the nation.” They also fault a “tea party-dominated conservative movement doing violence to the fundamental pillars of middle-class prosperity.” Mr. Jones, meanwhile, has promised to make some noise.
“You are going to see an American fall, an American autumn, just like we saw the Arab Spring,” he told MSNBC. “You can see it right now with these young people on Wall Street. Hold onto your hats, we’re going to have an October offensive to take back the American dream and to rescue America’s middle class. We are going to build a progressive balance of power to the tea party.”
In attendance this week will be Democratic Reps. Barney Frank of Massachusetts, Keith Ellison of Minnesota, Barbara Lee of California and Donna F. Edwards of Maryland. Also scheduled to be at the conference are former Labor Secretary Robert Reich, AFL-CIO President Richard Trumka, and Service Employees International Union President Mary Kay Henry. On the official speaker’s roster: 62 activists, 35 political strategists, 25 assorted authors and bloggers, 18 community organizers, 14 union officials, five economists, and two comedians.
It will be a momentous week for presidential hopeful Herman Cain — just like last week when he surged in polls, popularity and meaningful sound bites. Mr. Cain meets with billionaire Donald Trump in Manhattan on Monday, former New York Mayor Ed Koch on Tuesday and launches an appropriately punctuated memoir “This Is Herman Cain!” on Wednesday.
“All serious leading Republican candidates have reached out to Donald Trump for one-on-one meetings. The topics vary, depending on the individual, of course. What Herman Cain intends to talk about, I do not know,” Michael Cohen, a close adviser to Mr. Trump, tells Inside the Beltway.
“But it is going to be politically motivated, and obviously Mr. Cain is seeking Mr. Trump’s endorsement. Mr. Trump is popular with millions. He has become a force for angry Americans who are weary of politicians who get it wrong, costing jobs and our causing our economic failures.”
“I promise you as first gentleman my role will be to honor America with dignity, class and grace. I will never apologize for America, a country blessed and led by our almighty God. This is our time, this is our season to turn this incredible country around and to get our fiscal house in order.”
- Marcus Bachmann, husband of presidential hopeful Rep. Michelle Bachmann, in a fundraising outreach.
SEAL TEAM “SPEAKS”
St. Martin’s Press will publish the “first inside account” of the successful Seal Team Six mission to find Osama bin Laden, based on the stories of those who were there. Naturally, the account conflicts with “news reports,” the publisher says.
“Seal Target Geronimo: The Inside Story of the Mission to Kill Osama Bin Laden” by former Navy SEAL Chuck Pfarrer promises an exclusive account of each minute of the mission, complete with new details that differ from accounts in the New Yorker, on the History Channel and from other sources.
© Copyright 2013 The Washington Times, LLC. Click here for reprint permission.
About the Author
- Legal gadfly in NSA surveillance case can sting even his own mother in pursuit of principles
- Legal gadfly can sting NSA, even his own mother
- Inside the Beltway: Newest Obamacare Website fixer
- Inside the Beltway: Republicans for the little guy
- Inside the Beltway: Obamacare could short-circuit Democrats
Latest Blog Entries
- Gallup: Americans trust their car salesmen more than Congress
- Painter, biker, slightly grunge: George W. Bush becomes the new hipster icon
- Michael Savage's battle of Britain and the 'undesirables' continues
- The Gipper 24/7: Get the official - and free - Ronald Reagan App
- No kumbaya: Fiscal conservatives snarl at Patty and Paul's budget deal
Governor Moonbeam is fit and ready for another re-run
- U.S. Army mulls wiping out memory of Robert E. Lee, 'Stonewall' Jackson
- Half of America strips religion from Christmas
- Gov't wasted $30 billion on 'pillownauts,' crystal goblets -- buying human urine!
- BOLTON: Nero in the White House
- Pa. police pull people over for random DNA tests for feds
- Army to cut up to 4,000 captains and majors
- We told you so: Conservatives foresaw polygamy ruling
- Senators in rush to pass budget vow to undo cut to military retirement pay
- Barbara Walters admits we thought Obama was the next messiah
- Rush weighs in: Maybe Republicans dont dislike Obamacare
Independent voices from the The Washington Times Communities
Covering the world of soccer, including the World Cup, Major League Soccer, D.C. United and the English Premier League and other interesting sporting events.
Lists of top ten movies, songs, funny moments, fashion statements, automobiles, children's names, stupid celebrity moments, first dates, last dates, weddings, and much, much more.
Right-brain investing in a left-brain world. You can do it. I can help.
News and views on the Civil War.
Top 10 handguns in the U.S.
Extraordinary day at Redskins Park
White House pets gone wild!
Let it snow