- ‘I Am Alive’ app gains popularity in terror-ravaged Lebanon
- Gun giveaways gain popularity among Republican candidates
- S.C. hospital worker slapped with $525 federal fine for refilling $0.89 soda
- Teen from ‘Jihad Jane’ plot becomes youngest ever to serve time on U.S. terror charges
- Iranian woman forgives son’s killer at the gallows
- Nebraska principal sorry for ‘don’t tattle’ flier
- Illinois readies to spend $100M for Obama museum in Chicago
- John Edwards back in court — this time as a lawyer for Va. boy’s malpractice case
- Covered California reports more than 200K in overtime Obamacare sign-ups
- Thanks, Chuck: Hagel says U.S. sending Ukraine sleeping mats, helmets
Fishburne narrates film on black Southern workers
LOS ANGELES (AP) - Laurence Fishburne is the narrator for an upcoming PBS documentary on black workers in the post-slavery South.
The film, titled “Slavery by Another Name,” is based on the Pulitzer Prize-winning book by Douglas A. Blackmon.
PBS on Thursday announced Fishburne’s role as narrator of the documentary that will debut Feb. 13, 2012, on public TV stations nationwide.
“Slavery by Another Name” examines the labor practices and laws “that effectively created new forms of slavery” after emancipation, subjecting blacks to brutal forced work, according to the filmmakers.
The 90-minute film, produced by a division of the PBS affiliate for Minneapolis-St. Paul, will air as part of PBS’ Black History Month programming.
Fishburne’s other TV work has included “CSI: Crime Scene Investigation,” which he left last season, and the movie “Thurgood.”
TWT Video Picks
By Joy Overbeck
Redemption by government is futile
- Joe Biden's first Instagram pic mocked as shill for sunglass ad
- Jews being told to register in Ukraine: John Kerry
- Obama taunts GOP, takes nationally televised victory lap on Obamacare
- BOLTON: A 'three-state solution' for Middle East peace
- Army goes to war with National Guard, seizes Apache attack helicopters
- Elderly Chicago man robs bank to go 'home' to prison; judge fulfills his desire
- Cliven Bundy's Nevada ranch wrecked by retreating feds
- Chavez seizes Cargill factory
- Atheists rush to stage Easter display: 'Jesus Christ is a myth'
- IRS emails reveal discussion with Justice about suing nonprofits for election activities
Top 10 handguns in the U.S.