- Climate change not a top concern of Americans, poll shows
- GM faces federal investigation for slow recall that led to 13 deaths
- Iran president reaches out to Oman on friendship tour
- FAA’s pre-Malaysia flight warning: 777s have cracking, corrosion issues
- Facebook HQ locked down; employees searched as police field threat
- Glenn Ford free, after serving 30 years for murder he didn’t commit
- Congressman: McAuliffe victory means gun control a winning message
- Clinton aide admits soliciting disgraced D.C. fundraiser; says actions were legal
- Joel Osteen church victimized in $600K theft
- Obama goes shopping at Gap as minimum-wage thanks
HAGELIN: Parents must teach history schools distort
Culture Challenge of the Week: Invented History
Communists rewrite history all the time, with grand flourishes and straight faces. Many American liberals do, too.
First it was California, which recently mandated public schools to inflate - “incorporate,” they say - the contributions of homosexuals to the history of California and the United States. This indoctrination begins as young as kindergarten and, according to Tim Donnelly, a Republican state lawmaker, essentially forbids the education system to portray homosexuals “in anything other than a positive light.”
In Los Angeles, the school board is pushing its schools to go even further, including direct efforts to “promote” homosexuality, portraying it as a normal variant of family life. (“Family diversity,” proponents say.) The role of homosexuals will be exaggerated in every subject across the curriculum.
New York will follow suit, no doubt, as its new homosexual marriage law has generated a push by gay advocates for a similarly “inclusive” curriculum. It’s nothing more than sexual indoctrination dressed up as history. Bringing the homosexual message into the curriculum aims, in the words of gay City Council member Daniel Dromm, to prevent society from “putting LGBT people in the closet.”
In Massachusetts, however, it’s real history that’s being shoved into the closet.
A Somerville, Mass., public school principal, for instance, has banned celebration of Columbus Day and Thanksgiving, calling them American “atrocities” parading under the guise of historical holidays. Her decision, motivated by a desire to spare students and school personnel the pain of feeling insulted by the celebrations, further distorts history at the expense of ever-growing victim groups.
Parents rely on schools to teach history - American history that recounts our founding principles and celebrates the heroes who fought for, explored and led our nation. But in many schools, we may be fast approaching the day when children are more likely to receive sensitivity training on behalf of “sexual minorities” than a thorough grounding in authentic history.
How to Save Your Family: Demand real, not invented, history
Now more than ever, parents need to keep tabs on the history their children are learning in school. Is it a politically correct fabrication or a factual retelling about the people and events that made our country great?
Plenty of good resources are available to help.
First, check to see if your children, especially middle schoolers and high schoolers, ever have the opportunity to read original sources, such as the Declaration of Independence; the Constitution, including its Preamble; and the Bill of Rights. If not, it’s well worth downloading copies from the Internet and reading them along with your children.
The website Teaching American History (www.teachingamericanhistory.org) makes it easy for parents and teachers, offering the foundational documents divided by historical period.
Also, Hillsdale College recently launched a free video series called “Introduction to the Constitution” - more than 100,000 folks have signed up to watch the 45-minute lessons, which are available on demand and free of charge.
Read historical fiction and biographies to your children, highlighting the self-sacrificing commitment to freedom shown by America’s greatest leaders and heroes.
© Copyright 2014 The Washington Times, LLC. Click here for reprint permission.
TWT Video Picks
An America drowning in red ink is the land of the free no more
- Inside the Beltway: A new interest in Rahm Emanuel for 2016?
- HURT: John Kerry The ridiculous face of a ridiculous U.S. diplomacy
- David Jolly wins in Florida, GOP keeps swing district seat
- Brennan: Russia 'absolutely' could invade eastern Ukraine
- Kim Jong-un calls for execution of 33 Christians
- Joel Osteen church victimized in $600K theft
- U.S. pilot scares off Iranians with 'Top Gun'-worthy stunt: 'You really ought to go home'
- Search for missing Malaysian airliner widens as mystery deepens
- Bill Clinton poses for photo with Bunny Ranch prostitutes
- Obamacare 3 million shy of target with 19 days left to sign up
Pope Francis meets his 'mini-me'
Celebrity deaths in 2014
Winter storm hits states — again