- Marionville mayor ‘kind of agreed’ with Kansas City shooter’s views
- Rev. Al Sharpton’s Easter message: Politically ‘crucified’ Obama has risen again
- Supreme Court to weigh challenge to ban on campaign lies
- UNICEF launches ‘Mr. Poo’ mascot in India to curb public defecation
- Teen taking selfie by train: ‘Wow, that guy just kicked me in the head’
- Goodbye, Afghanistan — hello, Africa: Air Force to shift as U.S. exits Middle East
- Iran mulls ban on vasectomies, decrease on abortions to bolster population
- CNN op-ed claims right-wingers ‘more deadly than jihadists’
- Classes resume at high school rocked by stabbings
- ABC News accuses Center for Public Integrity of stealing Pulitzer-winning work
Mr. Karber said gauging the size of China’s nuclear arsenal is difficult, but the Wall Street Journal article urged an immediate reconsideration of the underestimated arsenal because “the alternative is for China, steeped in a 2,500 year military tradition of concealment, deception and surprise, to announce — at a time and in a manner of its choosing — its supremacy in a field that we have foolishly abandoned to our dreams.”
Anti-terrorism law proposed
China announced Monday that it would enact a sweeping law to combat what the communist state would define as “terrorists” or “terrorist acts.” These acts include creating public disorder and social panic, causing public property damage and threatening government agencies. The law would target international organizations and all others that abet and finance such “terrorists” and “terrorist acts.”
Human rights activists and thousands of netizens immediately reacted with anger and protest. Li Tiantian, a Shanghai-based human rights lawyer, was quoted by overseas Chinese news media as saying: “This law aims to protect the power structure of the state, to guarantee the security, stability and power of the government. It is the same as calling all actions jeopardizing the regime’s rule terrorism, deserving suppression.”
• Miles Yu’s column appears Thursdays. He can be reached at firstname.lastname@example.org.
TWT Video Picks
By John R. Bolton
Reality calls for attaching Gaza to Egypt and the West Bank to Jordan
- 'Culture of intimidation' seen in Nevada ranch standoff
- Rand and Ron Paul ride to the rescue for Bundy in Nevada standoff with feds
- Atheists rush to stage Easter display: 'Jesus Christ is a myth'
- Removal of military gear limits options for U.S., NATO in Ukraine
- CNN op-ed claims right-wingers 'more deadly than jihadists'
- U.S. Navy to turn seawater into jet fuel
- Army goes to war with National Guard, seizes Apache attack helicopters
- Nevada Bundy ranch standoff could leave dirt on Harry Reid reputation
- CARSON: Recovering Tocqueville's vision of American exceptionalism
- GOP writes legislation to deny Attorney General Eric Holder his salary
Celebrity deaths in 2014
Top 10 handguns in the U.S.