NATO delays formal decision on ending Libya mission

BRUSSELS (AP) — NATO unexpectedly postponed a definite decision to end its bombing campaign in Libya as consultations continued Wednesday with the United Nations and the country’s interim government over how and when to wind down the operation.

Last week, the alliance announced preliminary plans to phase out its mission on Oct. 31. NATO’s governing body — the North Atlantic Council, or NAC — was expected to formalize that decision Wednesday.

Air patrols have continued in the meantime because some alliance members were concerned that a quick end to NATO’s seven-month operation could lead to a resurgence in violence.

On Wednesday, spokeswoman Carmen Romero said NATO Secretary-General Anders Fogh Rasmussen was consulting with the United Nations and Libya’s National Transitional Council.

“The NAC will meet with partners on Friday to discuss our Libya mission and take a formal decision,” she said, adding that there was an “ongoing process” in the U.N. Security Council.

NATO and U.S. flags wave in the breeze outside NATO headquarters in Brussels on Friday, Oct. 21, 2011. (AP Photo/Virginia Mayo)

Enlarge Photo

NATO and U.S. flags wave in the breeze outside NATO headquarters in ... more >

U.S. Defense Secretary Leon E. Panetta said Tuesday during a visit to Japan that some of Libya’s leaders had called for NATO to continue its mission “during this interim as they try to establish some new governance.”

But a NATO official who could not be identified under standing rules said the alliance had not received any formal request from the Libyan transitional government to prolong its air and naval patrols past the end of the month.

NATO’s 26,000 sorties, including 9,600 strike missions, destroyed about 5,900 military targets since they started on March 31. These included Libya’s air defenses and more than 1,000 tanks, vehicles and guns, as well as Col. Moammar Gadhafi’s command and control networks.

The daily airstrikes enabled the rebels’ ragtag forces to advance and take Tripoli two months ago. On Sunday, Libya’s interim rulers declared the country liberated, launching the oil-rich nation on what is meant to be a two-year transition to democracy.

In Qatar, Libyan interim leader Mustafa Abdul-Jalil attended an international planning conference Wednesday with representatives of Gulf states and Western powers that participated in the Libyan operation.

The meeting is expected to focus on how the allies could help the new authorities bring stability to the nation.

Qatar, a leading Arab backer of the uprising to topple the Gadhafi regime, contributed warplanes to the NATO-led air campaign and helped arrange a critical oil sale to fund the former rebels.

The United Arab Emirates, Jordan and Sweden also joined in the NATO war effort.

Copyright 2014 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

Comments
blog comments powered by Disqus
TWT Video Picks