- Obama takes aim at ‘corporate deserters’
- Dick’s Sporting Goods lays off 478 PGA golf pros
- Senators: Cease-fire must allow Israel to defend against rockets, tunnels
- Sierra Leone doctor fighting Ebola catches disease
- Iraq welcomes Russian fighter jets, helicopter gunships into ISIL fight
- John McCain laments: Obama’s ‘self-pity … is really kind of sad’
- GOP offer to fix VA gives $10 billion in emergency funds
- Paul Ryan offers to repair U.S. economic safety net with a single grant stream
- Kim Jong-un builds bond with Putin: $250M Russia-backed addition to key port opens
- Pope Francis meets Meriam Ibrahim, a Sudanese woman sentenced to death
Red Bull’s Vettel takes pole for Indian GP
Question of the Day
NEW DELHI (AP) - Red Bull's Sebastian Vettel topped qualifying Saturday for the inaugural Indian Grand Prix for his 13th pole of the season, one short of Nigel Mansell's 1992 Formula One record.
Vettel turned a lap in 1 minute, 24.178 seconds on the 3.192-mile Buddh International Circuit. The German star has already wrapped up his second straight season title and has 10 victories this year.
"It's a new circuit, new track for all of us, which makes things tricky," Vettel said. "I'm extremely happy. It's an interesting race, a challenging circuit, so I am looking forward to tomorrow."
Ayrton Senna (1988 and 1989) and Alain Prost (1993) also had 13 poles in a season.
McLaren's Lewis Hamilton was second, three-tenths of a second back, but will drop down to fifth on the starting grid Sunday because of a rules infraction practice Friday when he ignored a yellow flag.
"Overtaking should be easier here than in other places, so I am still optimistic about tomorrow," said Hamilton, a two-time winner this year.
Red Bull's Mark Webber was third, followed by Ferrari's Fernando Alonso and McLaren's Jenson Button.
Ferrari's Felipe Massa qualified seventh, but crashed on the final lap when his right-front suspension broke going over a curb, sending him skidding into a barrier.
Second- and third-stringers eye 2016 if front-runner stumbles
- 'We're coming for you, Barack Obama': Top U.S. official discloses threat from ISIL terrorists
- Hamas rejects Kerry's call for cease-fire; Fears grow others could join fight against Israel
- Evidence shows Russia firing artillery into Ukraine: Pentagon
- Obama's empty tough-talk: Gun prosecutions plummet on his watch
- Obama orders Pentagon advisers to Ukraine
- Cutler wins endorsement from gun control group
- Algerian plane diverted due to storms, second aircraft: 116 missing
- Tom Petty: 'No one's got Christ more wrong than the Christians'
- CARSON: Costco and the perils of mixing politics and business
- Obama family set to buy $4.25M desert home in California: report
Obama's biggest White House 'fails'
Celebrities turned politicians
Athletes turned actors
20 gadgets that changed the world
Fighting in Iraq