- Seattle socialist: Minimum-wage discussion skewed by ‘right-wing’ GAO analysis
- U.N. warns of Muslim ‘cleansing’ in Central African Republic
- Senate blocks change to military sex assault cases
- Drug mix may have cured child born with HIV, doctors say
- De Blasio’s wife irks former mansion chef with ‘servant’ remark
- Russia’s neighbors shiver amid Putin’s Cold War moves in Ukraine
- New SAT: The essay portion is to become optional
- Military group can’t march to honor the fallen at Boston Marathon due to security changes
- Senate passes bills deleting ‘retarded’ from laws
- China announces biggest military hike in 3 years: We are not ‘boy scouts with spears’
O’Malley touts Md. gay marriage bill in Web video
Maryland Gov. Martin O'Malley appeared Monday in the first of a series of videos aimed at encouraging support for a bill that would authorize same-sex marriage in the state.
Mr. O'Malley, a Democrat, appeared in a 47-second video posted to the website of Marylanders for Marriage Equality — an activist coalition that is lobbying the General Assembly to legalize gay marriage during next year's legislative session.
Mr. O'Malley, who plans to sponsor a gay-marriage bill during the session, reaffirmed his support of gay marriage in the video and called on state residents to support the cause.
The governor also put relatively equal emphasis on his desires to not only establish "marriage equality" in the state, but to also "protect religious freedom."
Opponents have largely offered religious objects to gay marriage, and Mr. O'Malley's bill is expected to include language that would exempt religious organizations from having to perform gay-marriage ceremonies or accommodate gay couples.
The inclusion of such language was vital in New York's legalization of gay marriage this summer.
© Copyright 2014 The Washington Times, LLC. Click here for reprint permission.
About the Author
David Hill joined The Washington Times in February 2011 as a Maryland political reporter. He can be reached at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Md. drivers could face eventual doubling of gas tax
- Federal appeals court restores Maryland's concealed carry law
- Md. bill would end student suspensions for mimicking gun behavior
- Maryland Senate passes bill decriminalizing small amounts of marijuana
- Virginia Gov. Bob McDonnell assailed on transportation
Latest Blog Entries
TWT Video Picks
By Tammy Bruce
- Aronofsky's 'Noah' banned in Qatar, Bahrain, United Arab Emirates
- Kim Jong-un calls for execution of 33 Christians
- Russias Putin nominated for Nobel Peace Prize
- Back to the Future: HUVr Tech marketing video goes viral with hoverboard release tease
- MSNBC's Rachel Maddow: Bush to blame for Ukraine
- Christine O'Donnell eager to re-engage in political debate
- Bill Clinton poses for photo with Bunny Ranch prostitutes
- Putin has transformed Russian army into a lean, mean fighting machine
- Russian lawmaker wants to outlaw U.S. dollar, calls it a Ponzi scheme
- U.S. tasks Navy destroyer to Black Sea amid Ukraine tensions
Pope Francis meets his 'mini-me'
Celebrity deaths in 2014
Winter storm hits states — again