- Gentlemen, start your drones: Judge’s ruling opens door for commercial use
- Soldier who hid, bragged about not saluting flag to be punished — in secret
- ‘Maverick’ of the seas: ‘Top Gun’ school for U.S. ship officers to launch
- Putin declares Sochi Paralympics open amid Ukrainian protest
- ‘In Jesus name, we pray’ sparks ire at Ohio council meeting
- Navy’s first laser weapon ready for prime time; drone killer to deploy this summer
- Billionaire backer: Rick Santorum ‘needs to be heard’ in 2016
- Obamacare fallout: 49 percent pessimistic; 45 percent ‘scared’
- DHS accused of holding U.S. citizen at airport, using emails to pry into her sex life
- Seattle socialist: Minimum-wage discussion skewed by ‘right-wing’ GAO analysis
Marine Corps Marathon: Ware wins in a runaway
Third last year, Dengersa takes women’s crown
Wardian followed more than four minutes back in 2:23:46, with Patrick Fernandez of Alexandria another three minutes behind in 2:26:37.
Dengersa ran only 2:45, but she has had a busy month. After winning the Army Ten-Miler, she then recorded a personal-best 2:37 at the Baltimore Marathon two weeks ago. And she said she is not done with marathons this season.
“Maybe I run in Richmond in two weeks or Philly in three weeks,” said Dengersa, who was born in Ethiopia but is a Turkish citizen who trains in Washington.
Emily Shertzer of Jonestown, Pa., caught Shiferaw in the closing miles and made a run at Dengersa, coming up 27 seconds short in 2:45:55. Shiferaw was third in 2:47:30 as the top 10 women all run faster than 2:57.
Nearly 22,000 started the 26.2-mile race, including Drew Carey, the comedian and host of “The Price is Right.”
In a word, Carey called his first marathon a “nightmare.” Hoping to run sub-four hours, Carey cramped up miserably and struggled to a 4:37:10. But he was good-hearted about his morning at the finish as the Marines played “The “Price is Right” jingle.
“I’m happy I finished, I didn’t quit,” said Carey, a former Marine who has lost a sizeable amount of weight through running. “Sure, I’m disappointed with my time. I was ahead of the four-hour pace guy but at 15 miles, my quads seized up. I had to stop three to four times.”
Nonetheless, Carey said he would give the marathon another chance, no kidding
Taxpayers must pay the freight for over-budget train projects
- Kim Jong-un calls for execution of 33 Christians
- Rand Paul wins 2014 CPAC straw poll, Ted Cruz finishes a distant second
- Bill Clinton cashes in on struggling nonprofit hospital
- EDITORIAL: As jobs vanish, Obama wants more of same
- Stolen European passports on Malaysian Airlines Boeing 777
- Obama engages in Ukraine diplomacy from Fla. resort as Russia digs in
- U.S. pilot scares off Iranians with 'Top Gun'-worthy stunt: 'You really ought to go home'
- PRUDEN: Likening Putin to Hitler on Ukraine shows Hillary's shaky grasp of history
- Bill Clinton poses for photo with Bunny Ranch prostitutes
- Russias Putin nominated for Nobel Peace Prize
Pope Francis meets his 'mini-me'
Celebrity deaths in 2014
Winter storm hits states — again