- Beretta leaves Maryland over gun laws, heads for Tennessee
- Neal Boortz defends Hillary Clinton for representing child rapist
- House task force to recommend National Guard on border, faster deportations
- Top federal judge uses pizza to explain complex Obamacare situation
- Obama, Biden overhaul job training programs
- Drought-plagued Californians turn to paint to keep lawns green
- ISIL now forcing Iraqi shopkeepers to veil mannequins in Mosul
- 11 parents of Nigeria’s abducted girls die
- Genetic mapping triggers new hope on schizophrenia
- Turkish P.M. Erdogan won’t speak to Obama, but he’ll take calls from Biden
Police: 1 dead in shooting at Alaska hotel
Question of the Day
ANCHORAGE, Alaska (AP) — A disgruntled former employee opened fire in an Anchorage hotel and killed a manager, setting off a four-hour search that ended with the gunman’s arrest, authorities said early Sunday.
Kerry Fadely, 55, died in the shooting that occurred shortly after 6 p.m. Saturday at the Millennium Alaskan Hotel, police spokesman Lt. Dave Parker said.
Police locked down the hotel and carried out a room-to-room search. Police also surrounded the suspect’s residence.
Victor Rodriguez Flores, 45, was arrested nearly four hours after the shooting near his home, located in the hotel neighborhood.
Police Sgt. Joe Masten told the Associated Press that the shooter was a disgruntled former employee who had been fired. He said the female manager was shot in a hotel kitchen.
Police said Ms. Fadely had been the suspect’s supervisor until his dismissal a week ago.
Mr. Rodriguez Flores was charged with first-degree murder, Lt. Parker said. Some hotel employees witnessed the shooting, he said, and quickly identified the suspect for police.
Hotel guests were asked to remain in their quarters and were evacuated as police methodically searched the building, Lt. Parker said.
There were no reports of any other injuries.
TWT Video Picks
The president could pay the full price for ignoring Congress
- IRS seeks help destroying another 3,200 computer hard drives
- Beretta moving to Tennessee over Maryland gun laws
- D.C. appeals panel deals big blow to Obamacare subsidies
- 'Straight White Guy Festival' supposedly set for Ohio park
- CARSON: Costco and the perils of mixing politics and business
- PRUDEN: A deadly enemy within exacerbating immigration crisis
- LYONS: Small-arms treaty, big Second Amendment threat
- YOUNG: A sinking presidency, deeper after November?
- MERRY: Handicaps in Hillary's way
- Obama family set to buy $4.25M desert home in California: report
Obama's biggest White House 'fails'
Celebrities turned politicians
Athletes turned actors
20 gadgets that changed the world
Fighting in Iraq