- Associated Press - Tuesday, October 4, 2011

LOS ANGELES (AP) - Prosecutors on Tuesday called the girlfriend of the doctor charged in Michael Jackson’s death to detail the physician’s busy schedule on the day the singer died and her own interactions with the late King of Pop.

Nicole Alvarez told jurors during the involuntary manslaughter trial of Dr. Conrad Murray that the doctor had first told her that he was Jackson’s personal physician for a year before the singer’s June 2009 death.

Alvarez beamed as she described meeting Jackson for the first time in Las Vegas, where Murray maintains a medical practice.

“I was speechless,” Alvarez said. “I couldn’t believe I was meeting Michael Jackson.”

Alvarez said she and Murray met Jackson several other times, including after the birth of the couple’s young son.

Alvarez said after April 2009, Murray would frequently leave her apartment at night and return early the next day. She said she knew Murray was working as Jackson’s personal doctor while the singer prepared for a series of comeback concerts.

Phone records displayed in court Monday showed Murray called Alvarez four times the afternoon of Jacksons’ death in 2009, including once while he was in the ambulance with Jackson’s lifeless body on the way to the hospital.

Murray has pleaded not guilty.

Prosecutors are keeping jurors focused on the doctor’s phone records from the day Jackson died, attempting to show that Murray was trying to juggle his medical practice, personal life and superstar patient all at the same time.

Authorities contend he gave the singer a lethal dose of the anesthetic propofol and other sedatives. Murray’s attorneys claim Jackson gave himself the fatal dose. If convicted, Murray faces four years behind bars and the loss of his medical license.

Earlier Tuesday, a woman who was speaking on the phone with Murray on the day the singer died said the call was interrupted and the physician was no longer paying attention to her.

Sade Anding said she heard voices, coughing and mumbling on Murray’s end of the line. She told jurors that it sounded like his cell phone was in his pocket. Anding said Murray called her at 11:51 a.m. on June 25, 2009. About five or six minutes into their call is when she noticed Murray was no longer paying attention.

“There was a pause,” Anding said. “That’s when I realized he was no longer on the phone.”

“I heard mumbling of voices, it sounded like the phone was in his pocket,” she said. “I heard coughing, and nobody answered.”

Testimony Monday was heavily centered on the calls Murray made and received on the day Jackson died, with witnesses ranging from the Houston-based cardiologist’s patients, a doctor seeking advice and a woman who had dated Murray.

Story Continues →