- Associated Press - Tuesday, October 4, 2011

LOS ANGELES (AP) - A woman who was speaking on the phone with the doctor charged in Michael Jackson’s death the day the singer died says the call was interrupted and the physician was no longer paying attention to her.

Sade Anding says she heard voices, coughing and mumbling on Dr. Conrad Murray’s end of the line. She told jurors in Murray’s involuntary manslaughter case that it sounded like his cell phone was in his pocket.

Anding says Murray called her at 11:51 a.m. on June 25, 2009. About five or six minutes into their call is when she noticed Murray was no longer paying attention.

Murray has pleaded not guilty. Authorities are focusing on his phone records to try to show he was distracted when he should have been caring for Jackson.

THIS IS A BREAKING NEWS UPDATE. Check back soon for further information. AP’s earlier story is below.

Prosecutors in the manslaughter trial against Michael Jackson’s personal physician are keeping jurors focused on the doctor’s phone records from the day the King of Pop died, attempting to show that Dr. Conrad Murray was trying to juggle his medical practice, personal life and superstar patient all at the same time.

Testimony Monday was heavily centered on the calls Murray made and received on June 25, 2009, with witnesses ranging from the Houston-based cardiologist’s patients, a doctor seeking advice and a woman who had dated Murray.

To this point, witnesses have been relatively brief, filling in prosecutors’ timeline of the hours leading up to Jackson’s death. Two people who phoned Murray that morning offered glowing appraisals of the doctor accused of involuntary manslaughter in connection with Jackson’s death.

Jurors have yet to hear from two other women with whom Murray was romantically involved, though both could testify as early as Tuesday. Sade Anding has previously said she was on the phone with Murray shortly before noon when he became distracted and put the phone down without hanging up. Prosecutors are expected to also call Nicole Alvarez, who had a child with Murray and whose apartment he used to ship orders of the anesthetic propofol.

Phone records displayed in court Monday showed Murray called Alvarez four times the afternoon of Jacksons’ death, including once while he was in the ambulance with Jackson’s lifeless body on the way to the hospital.

Murray has pleaded not guilty. Authorities contend he gave the singer a lethal dose of propofol and other sedatives. Murray’s attorneys claim Jackson gave himself the fatal dose. If convicted, Murray faces four years behind bars and the loss of his medical license.

The phone records have revealed the special relationship Murray kept with his patients. Houston-based Dr. Joanne Prashad told jurors she called Murray the morning of Jackson’s death to inquire whether it would be safe to operate on a patient whom Murray had treated. Prashad said she was surprised that Murray remembered the patient and the exact dosage of medicine that he was taking.

Murray’s lead defense attorney Ed Chernoff asked Prashad whether Murray’s recall was unusual for a doctor.

She said yes. “I was impressed,” Prashad said.

Another patient, Antoinette Gill, told jurors she had called Murray’s cell phone for a referral on June 25, 2009, but didn’t reach him.

Story Continues →