- Unbeliebable: White House turns Bieber petition response into immigration screed
- Obama signs law denying Iran ambassador’s visa, but says law is ‘advisory’
- Mich. judge to laughing convicted killer: ‘I hope you die in prison’
- Man charged in Kansas City-area highway shootings
- Keystone XL pipeline still on hold after State Dept. decision
- Fla. man charged with killing 16-month-old son to play Xbox undisturbed
- Drones from the deep: Pentagon develops ocean-floor attack robots
- Michigan mayor slaps back atheists’ try to erect ‘reason station’ at city hall
- PHILLIPS: Where is the conservative establishment?
- 7.5-magnitude earthquake shakes southern Mexico
Scientists to develop deep ocean seismic network
SAN DIEGO (AP) - The Scripps Institution of Oceanography has been awarded a $1 million grant to develop a deep sea seismic network.
Scientists hope this new system will plug current monitoring gaps.
Ships typically deploy earthquake sensors in the ocean that gather data for a certain amount of time before they are retrieved by vessels.
Scripps will pair with industry in the project that’s being funded by the National Science Foundation. Data from the sea floor sensors will be transmitted to a surfboard-sized autonomous unmanned vessel on the ocean’s surface, and then to shore via satellite.
Researchers say the unmanned vessel would be able to stay stationary for longer periods of time, allowing for more data collection.
TWT Video Picks
Women losing coverage under Obamacare, too
- Scalia to students on high taxes: At a certain point, 'perhaps you should revolt'
- Former Ranger breaks silence on Pat Tillman death: I may have killed him
- Special Forces' suicide rates hit record levels casualties of 'hard combat'
- Feds approve powdered alcohol; 'Palcohol' available later this year
- Justice at last: 'Evil woman' outed for grabbing girl's game ball
- Inside China: Marine's comment on islands draws sharp Chinese response
- Army goes to war with National Guard, seizes Apache attack helicopters
- EDITORIAL: Mark Warner running scared?
- Nancy Pelosi washes immigrants' feet in humble Holy Week act then promotes on Twitter
- Harry Reid blasts Bundy ranch supporters as 'domestic terrorists'
Top 10 handguns in the U.S.