- Sen. Tom Coburn vows to slow down budget-busting bills ahead of recess
- Obama fantasizes about more executive power, signs new order on federal contractors
- Clintons call Klein, Halper, Kessler ‘a Hat Trick of despicable actors’: report
- Boehner accuses Obama of ‘legacy of lawlessness’
- Pro-marijuana group claims responsibility for Brooklyn Bridge flag swap
- Young adults shun Obamacare mostly due to cost: survey
- Stabbing attack on transgender girl, 15, was ‘bias motivated,’ police say
- LGBT adults still lean overwhelmingly toward Democratic Party
- Lawmakers rattled by Syria genocide horrors, call on Obama to act
- 3 African leaders cancel trip to U.S. over Ebola outbreak; Obama still plans summit
Al Davis Bio Box
Question of the Day
NAME: Allen Davis
BORN: July 4, 1929, in Brockton, Mass.
DIED: Oct. 8, 2011.
AWARDS: AFL’s Coach of the Year in 1963.
HONORS: Inducted into the Pro Football Hall of Fame in 1992.
_Hired as coach and general manager of the AFL’s Oakland Raiders in January 1963. At 33, he was the youngest person in pro football history to hold those positions.
_Compiled 23-16-3 record in three years as coach.
_Appointed American Football League commissioner in April 1966. Resigned as commissioner six weeks after the AFL and NFL agree to an alliance that includes common draft and championship game. Davis rejoined Raiders as managing general partner.
_From 1967 to 1985 the team won 13 division championships, one AFL championship (1967), three Super Bowls (1977, 1981 and 1984) and made 15 playoff appearances.
_Won AFC championship in 2002.
_One of two teams to play in the Super Bowl in four different decades, along with the Pittsburgh Steelers.
_1966 _ Purchased 10 percent stake in the Raiders and returned to his old club as one of three general partners along with Wayne Valley and Ed McGah. He was named head of football operations.
By Ted Cruz
Israel saves its enemies; Hamas endangers its friends
- Inside the Ring: Israel surprised by Hamas tunnel network
- GOP leaders delay border bill, leave Obama in control
- Army's 3-D printed bombs to create 'a whole new universe' of lethal capabilities
- CIA admits improperly hacking Senate computers in search of Bush-era information
- Chicken pox outbreak puts illegal immigrant facility on lockdown
- CRUZ: A tale of two hospitals: One in Israel, one in Gaza
- Report: 40% of weapons sent to Afghanistan are unaccounted for
- U.S. troops told not to eat, drink in front of Muslims during Ramadan
- Catholic League slams Obama: 'Do Christian lives mean so little to you?'
- Israel surprised by Hamas tunnel network
Obama's biggest White House 'fails'
Celebrities turned politicians
Athletes turned actors
20 gadgets that changed the world