- Obama not worried about Ebola at upcoming African summit in D.C.
- Obama: ‘We tortured some folks’ after 9/11
- Obama administration asked whole D.C. Circuit to take on major Obamacare case
- Mark Levin: Topple GOP leadership or country will ‘unravel’
- Massachusetts to let police chief deny gun buys to those deemed unfit
- John Kerry condemns attack on Israeli soldiers, kidnapping
- U.S. starts to evacuate American Ebola patients from West Africa: Report
- Geraldo slammed as ‘dummy’ for backing Clinton’s bin Laden claim
- Israeli spokesman: No need to debate who broke the cease-fire
- 35 Palestinians killed; Israeli officer missing
Question of the Day
Ex-player Belak committed suicide in Toronto hotel
TORONTO | Former NHL player Wade Belak hanged himself, according to a person familiar with the case. Belak, an enforcer who had played with five NHL teams before retiring in March, was found dead Wednesday in Toronto. He was 35.
The person familiar with Belak's death said he hanged himself at a downtown luxury hotel and condo building.
Belak is the third NHL enforcer found dead since May.
The body Rick Rypien, 27, a cousin of former Washington Redskins quarterback Mark Rypien, of the Winnipeg Jets was discovered earlier this month at his home in Alberta after a police official said a call was answered for a "sudden and non-suspicious" death.
Former New York Rangers enforcer Derek Boogaard died in May at 28 of an accidental mix of alcohol and the painkiller oxycodone.
c Winnipeg Jets defenseman Dustin Byfuglien was arrested in Minnesota on suspicion of boating while intoxicated. Byfuglien, a Minnesota native, had 20 goals and 33 assists in 81 games with the Atlanta Thrashers last year. The franchise was relocated to Winnipeg in the offseason.
Earnhardt agrees to 5-year extension with Hendrick
CHARLOTTE, N.C. | NASCAR's most popular driver will stay with the most dominant race team at least through 2017.
Hendrick Motorsports on Thursday announced a five-year contract extension with Dale Earnhardt Jr., who heads to Atlanta Motor Speedway this weekend trying to clinch his first berth in the Chase for the Sprint Cup championship in three years.
Earnhardt left Dale Earnhardt Inc., his late father's race team, at the end of the 2007 season. He has just on win since leaving DEI, at Michigan in 2008, and he goes into Sunday night's race at Atlanta stuck in a 117-race winless streak.
Desormeaux charged with reckless endangerment
SARATOGA SPRINGS, N.Y. | Police in New York say jockey Kent Desormeaux, a three-time Kentucky Derby winner, tried to run over a traffic cop. Police did not release the officer's condition.
Desormeaux, 41, was charged with reckless endangerment, a misdemeanor. He posted $500 bail.
Desormeaux, a 2004 inductee into the National Racing Hall of Fame, almost won the 1998 Triple Crown, capturing the Derby and Preakness but falling a nose short in the Belmont.
Tulsa receiver charged with embezzlement
TULSA, OKLA. | Prosecutors charged suspended Tulsa wide receiver Damaris Johnson with one count of felony embezzlement. Johnson was questioned last week after his girlfriend, Chamon Jones, was arrested on an embezzlement complaint.
Police say that Jones, who works at a Macy's, sold more than $1,500 worth of merchandise to Johnson for just under $13 on one occasion. Officers also alleged that Jones charged Johnson 34 cents for merchandise totaling $1,283.
PGA Tour announces nine-year TV deal
NORTON, MASS. | Even without Tiger Woods dominating golf, the PGA Tour announced Thursday its longest network television deal in history Thursday that secures broadcast rights for the next 10 years.
The tour agreed to a nine-year deal with CBS Sports and NBC Sports. PGA Tour Commissioner Tim Finchem did not disclose financial terms, although he said there was an increase in the rights fee and players would see modest advances in prize money.
By Orrin G. Hatch
Procedural changes impede the chamber's traditional deliberative function
- U.N. condemns Israel, U.S. for not sharing Iron Dome with Hamas
- Border agents cleared of civil rights complaints from illegal immigrant children
- Obama military strategy too weak for future security, panel reports
- Ben Carson takes major step toward presidential campaign
- Porn-surfing feds blame boredom, lack of work for misbehavior
- Pentagon wants extra $19M to equip, train Ukrainian troops
- 'Big Bang' star Mayim Bialik helps send bulletproof vests to IDF
- Feds raid S.C. home to seize Land Rover in EPA emission-control crackdown
- Australia issues arrest warrant for men believed to be homegrown ISIL terrorists
- Iraq Christians get meeting with top Obama aide
Top 10 U.S. military helicopters
Obama's biggest White House 'fails'
Celebrities turned politicians
Athletes turned actors