- Atheists’ Easter taunt to Christians: ‘Jesus is a myth’
- Miley Cyrus hospitalized, cancels Kansas City show
- Josh Romney swipes Harry Reid with photo tweet of dad paying taxes — ‘your paycheck’
- Despite Obamacare problems, some Dems want Sebelius to run for Senate: report
- Angry New Yorkers shred gun registrations in deadline day protests
- Uninsured rate dropping faster in places that embraced pillars of Obamacare, survey shows
- Hawaii, D.C. give residents two more weeks to sign up under Obamacare
- Climate change causing fish to lose their minds, researchers say
- Great Britain tops World’s Most Sexist Nation list
- Aaron Hernandez investigated for threatening to kill prison guard
Fashion world marks Sept. 11 as shows go on
NEW YORK (AP) - The fashion world stood still when the World Trade Centers came down in the middle of New York Fashion Week a decade ago, but the shows went on Sunday with moments of reflection and remembrance from the tents at Lincoln Center to venues within distance of ground zero.
“On a day like this, we’re all American,” U2’s Bono said after the spring preview downtown for Edun, the African-inspired brand he founded with his wife, Ali Hewson.
In an intimate hall at the New York Public Library’s flagship, guests at Victoria Beckham’s show twice stopped in their tracks on the way to their seats for moments of silence _ one for each tower _ as scheduled by the designer.
All Fashion Week events are proceeding as planned through Thursday, in contrast to the jarring halt of the September previews after the terrorist attacks, said Stephanie Winston Wolkoff, Lincoln Center’s fashion director.
On the front row at Lela Rose, she described the conflicting mood on the tragedy’s anniversary: “Today is a day that is very exciting, but there is also a certain calmness, you know? Everyone can sort of just look at each other today and know exactly what each other is thinking.”
Oscar de la Renta said he watched the anniversary unfold on TV in the morning before heading to the tents. “I was in tears. But I say this country is about the rebirth, all over again. It’s like the phoenix bird reborn from its ashes.”
Linda Fargo, senior vice president of fashion at Bergdorf Goodman, wore a patriotic blue blouse and red trousers on the Beckham front row. “I didn’t expect to be so emotional today, but I am.”
Designer Tracy Reese had been scheduled for her first New York Fashion Week show on Sept. 11, 2001, and is proud to mark the anniversary at the tents on the same date this year. “At the end of the day, New York is unlike any other city in the world. Everyone worked together to pick ourselves back up.”
Several designers said they’ve made donations to various organizations in memory of the dead, including Derek Lam to the National September 11 Memorial & Museum, and Donna Karan to Action America, an initiative to turn Sept. 11 into a day of positive action and volunteerism.
“We remember that day 10 years ago that changed our city forever,” Karan said in her show notes. “We remember the courage, the inspiration, the compassion. How we came together, reaffirming our strength to the world. There truly is no place anywhere like our beloved city, New York. Our inspiration.”
After eight days of spring previews in New York, shows move to London, then Milan and Paris.
Her crisp, clean and sophisticated collection showed off her skills as a dressmaker.
Beckham added several outerwear pieces to the repertoire _ including hooded satin jackets _ but she mostly stepped back from the looser silhouette that she experimented with last season.
Even the dresses with pleated skirts were built with tight bodices.
TWT Video Picks
By returning to Christian roots, the nation can achieve greatness once again
- Fuel-filled wings, ability to swarm: Pentagon offers glimpse at future of drone fleet
- Secret U.S. assessments show Afghanistan not ready to govern on own
- CARSON: Recovering Tocqueville's vision of American exceptionalism
- 'Culture of intimidation' seen in Nevada ranch standoff
- GOP writes legislation to deny Attorney General Eric Holder his salary
- Nevada Bundy ranch standoff could leave dirt on Harry Reid reputation
- WEBER: Obamacare cuts home healthcare for millions of seniors
- HURT: Wilson and Obama ... 100 years apart, but so alike
- U.S. Navy to turn seawater into jet fuel
- Al Qaeda mocks U.S. in 'extraordinary' Yemen gathering; experts fear CIA caught flat-footed
Celebrity deaths in 2014
Top 10 handguns in the U.S.