- Obama takes aim at ‘corporate deserters’
- Dick’s Sporting Goods lays off 478 PGA golf pros
- Senators: Cease-fire must allow Israel to defend against rockets, tunnels
- Sierra Leone doctor fighting Ebola catches disease
- Iraq welcomes Russian fighter jets, helicopter gunships into ISIL fight
- John McCain laments: Obama’s ‘self-pity … is really kind of sad’
- GOP offer to fix VA gives $10 billion in emergency funds
- Paul Ryan offers to repair U.S. economic safety net with a single grant stream
- Kim Jong-un builds bond with Putin: $250M Russia-backed addition to key port opens
- Pope Francis meets Meriam Ibrahim, a Sudanese woman sentenced to death
Carpenter signs 2-year deal with Cardinals
Question of the Day
Carpenter rebounded with a sterling 2009 in which he went 17-4 and posted an NL-leading 2.24 ERA. He went 16-9 last season but hasn’t been quite as sharp this summer, though he’s coming off an impressive four-hit shutout win over Milwaukee that manager Tony La Russa called one of the best performances he’s seen all season.
While allowing every season is different, Carpenter is confident he can be effective well into the future.
“I believe I can be better than I was this year, try and be more consistent,” he said. “If I’m healthy, I’m going to be fine.”
Carpenter is 142-92 with a 3.79 ERA in 14 seasons with the Toronto Blue Jays and the Cardinals.
Closer to the end of his career than the beginning, Carpenter is well aware of the company he’s keeping.
“The whole time I’ve been here, there have been a lot of referrals to ‘the last guy to do this is Bob Gibson,’” Carpenter said. “I’m not Bob Gibson but … (hopefully) when my career is over, people look back and say even though (I wasn’t) Bob Gibson, Chris Carpenter was a big part of this tradition.”
Second- and third-stringers eye 2016 if front-runner stumbles
- 'We're coming for you, Barack Obama': Top U.S. official discloses threat from ISIL terrorists
- Obama orders Pentagon advisers to Ukraine
- NAPOLITANO: What if our democracy is a fraud?
- Hamas rejects Kerry's call for cease-fire; Fears grow others could join fight against Israel
- State Department indicates Nouri al-Maliki's days numbered as Iraq prime minister
- Inside China: Massive flight woes and a missile test
- Algerian plane diverted due to storms, second aircraft: 116 missing
- Evidence shows Russia firing artillery into Ukraine: Pentagon
- Obama family set to buy $4.25M desert home in California: report
- Norway expects imminent 'concrete threat' from ISIL terrorists 'within days'
Obama's biggest White House 'fails'
Celebrities turned politicians
Athletes turned actors
20 gadgets that changed the world
Fighting in Iraq