- CBP Commissioner: Border is ‘more secure and more safe’
- Obama dispatches researchers to border to check on National Guard
- Dutch receiving Malaysia plane bodies irked at Putin’s daughter in Holland
- Algerian airplane goes missing over Mali: ‘Emergency plan’ launched
- Colorado judge strikes voter-backed gay marriage ban, but issues stay
- Brooklyn Bridge flag-swapping suspects identified by nickname
- Christian woman in Sudan spared for apostasy flies to Italy
- Iraq: 60 dead in attack on prisoner convoy
- Marco Rubio: U.S. at social, moral crossroads
- ‘We’re coming for you, Barack Obama’: Top U.S. official discloses threat from ISIL
Question of the Day
NEW YORK | Sept. 11 victims’ relatives who say a museum is no place to put unidentified victims’ remains went to court Wednesday to press for access to a city-maintained list of the next of kin for all the nearly 2,800 people killed at the World Trade Center, information the relatives say they need to gauge opinion on the issue.
In a hearing that was technically about public-records law but overlaid with an emotionally charged debate about the future of 9,000 pieces of unidentified remains, relatives’ attorneys said they needed the list to poll families. But a city attorney said releasing it would invade the privacy of people whose identities became the government’s business only through tragedy.
A judge didn’t immediately rule or say when she would.
The case is a byproduct of a bitter disagreement between some victims’ relatives and city officials, the National Sept. 11 Memorial & Museum and, indeed, some other victims’ relatives about the unidentified remains of more than 1,100 victims.
The 17 relatives who are suing oppose a plan to put the unidentified remains 70 feet underground in the subterranean museum, behind a wall inscribed with a quote from Virgil. The remains wouldn’t be visible to the public, and a private room next to the repository would be set aside for families.
School board votes to allow facial piercings
SMITHFIELD | A school system that had been involved in a dispute with a student about her nose piercing has now changed its dress code to allow such jewelry.
The Johnston County school board voted unanimously Tuesday to allow students to have nose rings and facial jewelry as long as their school principal doesn’t see it as a disruption.
The school system was sued last year by the American Civil Liberties Union on behalf of Ariana Iacono. The student said she wore a small nose stud as a reflection of her religious beliefs. The school suspended her, saying such jewelry violated the dress code.
In June, the school dropped its objections to Ariana’s piercing.
Superintendent Ed Croom said Tuesday’s vote is not related to the lawsuit.
Mansion not sold on site of John Brown’s hanging
CHARLES TOWN | Attempts to sell a mansion on the site of abolitionist John Brown’s execution have failed.
© Copyright 2014 The Washington Times, LLC. Click here for reprint permission.
TWT Video Picks
The subsidies are a hit with patients who don't exist
- 'We're coming for you, Barack Obama': Top U.S. official discloses threat from ISIL terrorists
- Algerian airplane goes missing over Mali: 'Emergency plan' launched
- Despite rhetoric, gun prosecutions plummet under Obama
- House task force to recommend National Guard on border, faster deportations
- Obama orders Pentagon advisers to Ukraine
- Obama says public not familiar enough with issues
- CROWLEY: The good-time president
- Hamas rejects Kerry's call for cease-fire; Hezbollah in Syria could join fight against Israel
- NAPOLITANO: What if our democracy is a fraud?
- EDITORIAL: Poor Hillary, rock-star wannabe
Obama's biggest White House 'fails'
Celebrities turned politicians
Athletes turned actors
20 gadgets that changed the world
Fighting in Iraq