- Congressman: McAuliffe victory means gun control a winning message
- Clinton aide admits soliciting disgraced D.C. fundraiser; says actions were legal
- Joel Osteen church victimized in $600K theft
- Obama goes shopping at Gap as minimum-wage thanks
- N.J. woman charged after client dies from black-market butt injections
- CIA chief Brennan ‘determined’ to speak out more this year
- Reset? What reset? U.S.-Russia ties at worst since Cold War
- 9/11 terror recruiter released in Syrian prisoner swap
- D.C. elections board gives green light to marijuana legalization initiative
- Elephants can tell difference between human languages: study
Panettiere to be honored for DC statehood advocacy
WASHINGTON (AP) - Actress Hayden Panettiere is being honored by District of Columbia officials for her commitment to making the district a state.
Panettiere played a cheerleader with superpowers on the NBC drama “Heroes” among several other roles.
She is an advocate for numerous social and environmental causes, including the plight of marine mammals. On a trip to Washington several years ago, she learned that residents of the nation’s capital have no voting representation in Congress and began speaking out about the statehood fight.
She has appeared at numerous pro-statehood events and in public service announcements.
Mayor Vincent Gray is scheduled to proclaim Friday as “Hayden Panettiere Day” in the district.
The 22-year-old Panettiere was recently seen in “Scream 4.” Her credits also include “Remember the Titans” and “I Love You, Beth Cooper.”
TWT Video Picks
An America drowning in red ink is the land of the free no more
- Inside the Beltway: A new interest in Rahm Emanuel for 2016?
- David Jolly wins in Florida, GOP keeps swing district seat
- Kim Jong-un calls for execution of 33 Christians
- HURT: John Kerry The ridiculous face of a ridiculous U.S. diplomacy
- Brennan: Russia 'absolutely' could invade eastern Ukraine
- Bill Clinton poses for photo with Bunny Ranch prostitutes
- LOZANSKY: World War III over Ukraine, anyone?
- 80 people publicly executed across North Korea for films, Bibles
- CARNES: Kissinger's flawed and offensive analysis of Ukraine
- Minister sees breakthrough 'in months' for long-split Cyprus
Pope Francis meets his 'mini-me'
Celebrity deaths in 2014
Winter storm hits states — again