- ‘I Am Alive’ app gains popularity in terror-ravaged Lebanon
- Gun giveaways gain popularity among Republican candidates
- S.C. hospital worker slapped with $525 federal fine for refilling $0.89 soda
- Teen from ‘Jihad Jane’ plot becomes youngest ever to serve time on U.S. terror charges
- Iranian woman forgives son’s killer at the gallows
- Nebraska principal sorry for ‘don’t tattle’ flier
- Illinois readies to spend $100M for Obama museum in Chicago
- John Edwards back in court — this time as a lawyer for Va. boy’s malpractice case
- Covered California reports more than 200K in overtime Obamacare sign-ups
- Thanks, Chuck: Hagel says U.S. sending Ukraine sleeping mats, helmets
LETTER TO THE EDITOR: Medal recipients the new ‘greatest generation’
Last week, President Obama awarded the Medal of Honor to a former Marine, Sgt. Dakota Meyer, for his courageous attempts to rescue U.S. and Afghan soldiers under intense enemy fire in Afghanistan on Sept. 8, 2009 (“Kin of killed soldiers say reprimands lenient,” Nation, Monday).
Sgt. Meyer is the third living individual to receive America’s highest military honor for bravery in combat while serving in Iraq and Afghanistan. As a Medal of Honor recipient and a retired Marine, I’d like to take this opportunity, on behalf of my fellow recipients, to salute Sgt. Meyer, along with the two recent recipients, Sgt. 1st Class Leroy Petry and Staff Sgt. Sal Giunta. All three received their medals as we celebrate the 150th anniversary of the Medal of Honor, a historic milestone marked by commemorative coins to emphasize the values of courage and selflessness embodied in the American spirit.
Sgt. Meyer, Sgt. 1st Class Petry and Staff Sgt Giunta are our newest generation of heroes, members of the newest “greatest generation.” They, as well as the men and women serving in combat today, do so with the same spirit of courage and selflessness as their predecessors. They are truly magnificent. Semper Fi.
COL. H.C. “BARNEY” BARNUM
U.S. Marine Corps (retired)
© Copyright 2014 The Washington Times, LLC. Click here for reprint permission.
TWT Video Picks
By Joy Overbeck
Redemption by government is futile
Get Breaking Alerts
- Joe Biden's first Instagram pic mocked as shill for sunglass ad
- Jews being told to register in Ukraine: John Kerry
- Obama taunts GOP, takes nationally televised victory lap on Obamacare
- BOLTON: A 'three-state solution' for Middle East peace
- Army goes to war with National Guard, seizes Apache attack helicopters
- Elderly Chicago man robs bank to go 'home' to prison; judge fulfills his desire
- Cliven Bundy's Nevada ranch wrecked by retreating feds
- Chavez seizes Cargill factory
- Atheists rush to stage Easter display: 'Jesus Christ is a myth'
- IRS emails reveal discussion with Justice about suing nonprofits for election activities
Recent Letters to the Editor
- LETTER TO THE EDITOR: Probe Boston teen's medical, custody case
- LETTER TO THE EDITOR: Bundy support a modern-day Tiananmen protest
- LETTER TO THE EDITOR: An honorable president would resign
- LETTER TO THE EDITOR: Bundy support demonstrates voters' distrust
- LETTER TO THE EDITOR: Obamacare disasters were avoidable