- Texas man arrested for powder-letter hoax
- Islamic State opens ‘marriage bureau’ for single jihadists
- Drone almost blocks California firefighting planes
- Tornado rips off roofs, downs trees near Boston
- GOP: Environmental rules keeping agents from accessing border
- John Kerry: Millions displaced by religious fighting in 2013
- Federal appeals court rules against Virginia’s gay marriage ban
- White House says Russia ‘losing’ war in Ukraine
- Hamas turns to North Korea for weapons deal, Iran for money
- Syrian casualties surge as jihadis consolidate
AP source: Man United delays stock market offering
Question of the Day
LONDON (AP) - Manchester United put on hold its $1 billion Singapore stock market offering because of volatile global markets, a person familiar with the situation told The Associated Press.
The person, speaking on condition of anonymity because the club is not discussing its financial plans publicly, said United’s American owners are waiting for market conditions to improve before going ahead with the listing. Approval for the initial public offering already had been approved by Singapore’s stock exchange.
The Glazer family, which also owns the Tampa Bay Buccaneers, plans to remain in control of United by making only 25 percent to 30 percent of the club available. The family wants to raise $1 billion to help to cut debts, which were $747 million on June 30.
If the Premier League champions do not list by the end of the year they will have to seek an extension. United’s planned listing values the club at far more than the $1.9 billion valuation by Forbes magazine, which has ranked it as soccer’s most valuable team the last seven years. The club was bought by the Glazers for $1.4 billion in 2005.
The wider economic instability has made the Glazers wary. Markets have been shaken by the possibility of Greece’s debt default, Italy’s debt downgrade and the International Monetary Fund’s warning that the global economy is growing far slower than anticipated.
By Scott Pinsker
- D.C. seeks to stay judge's order allowing gun owners to carry in public
- Illegal immigrants demand representation in White House meetings
- Hillary Clinton: Forget Obama, George W. Bush made her 'proud to be an American'
- Babson College, BYU win top spots in Money magazine's college rankings
- Iraqi Christians rally at White House: 'Obama, Obama, where are you?'
- Tennessee Gov. Haslam slams White House for secret dump of illegals in his state
- Romney would win popular vote in rematch against Obama: CNN poll
- White House defends Kerry failure to broker Middle East cease-fire
- D.C. plans to seek stay of order striking down ban on handguns in public
- Islamic State opens 'marriage bureau' for single jihadists
Obama's biggest White House 'fails'
Celebrities turned politicians
Athletes turned actors
20 gadgets that changed the world
Fighting in Iraq