- GOP offer to fix VA gives $10 billion in emergency funds
- Paul Ryan offers to repair U.S. economic safety net with a single grant stream
- Kim Jong-un builds bond with Putin: $250M Russia-backed addition to key port opens
- Pope Francis meets Meriam Ibrahim, a Sudanese woman sentenced to death
- Detroit porch shooting trial: Suspect says he didn’t know gun was loaded
- U.S. Navy admiral ‘receptive’ to giving Chinese counterpart a tour of carrier
- Islamic State orders female genital mutilation for Mosul girls, U.N. says
- U.N. school in Gaza caught in cross-fire; 15 killed
- Obama encourages ICE to stand down, say former border agents
- Pro-Palestinian protesters attack Israeli soccer team in Austria match
Nuggets forward Gallinari rejoins Italian club
Question of the Day
“I’m happy for the opportunity that Olimpia offered me to get back on the court with the team that I had some unforgettable experiences with,” Gallinari said. “I hope to give the Milan fans more to cheer about and give them back in return the affection they showed by following me once I reached the NBA.”
Olimpia’s new coach is Sergio Scariolo, who guided Spain to the European Championship title Sunday in Lithuania. Along with fellow NBA players Andrea Bargnani and Marco Belinelli, Gallinari was on the Italy squad that failed to advance to the second round.
“The only player for which we would have even considered making an exception to the rule of not hiring ‘part-time’ players was Danilo Gallinari,” Scarolo said. “We’re confident to get from him, even for only a brief time, the effort and dedication needed to become part of the team.”
Also known by its sponsor’s name Emporio Armani, Olimpia has a difficult series of games to open this season’s Europa League, where it will face Maccabi Electra Tel Aviv, Real Madrid and Anadolu Efes Istanbul.
“With the time frame coinciding with our goal of qualifying for the top 16 in the Europa League, that obviously gave us extra motivation to make this deal,” Scarolo said.
Olimpia opens the Italian league season against Varese on Oct. 9.
Other NBA players have committed to leagues outside the United States.
The NBA season usually begins in late October but owners and players have so far failed to agree on a new labor deal. The sides are at odds over how to divide the league’s revenue, a salary-cap structure and the length of guaranteed contracts.
The subsidies are a hit with patients who don't exist
- Hamas rejects Kerry's call for cease-fire; Fears grow others could join fight against Israel
- Algerian plane diverted due to storms, second aircraft: 116 missing
- Whistleblowers flood VA with lawsuits despite apology
- Obama's empty tough-talk: Gun prosecutions plummet on his watch
- 'We're coming for you, Barack Obama': Top U.S. official discloses threat from ISIL terrorists
- Obama says public not familiar enough with issues
- Conservative groups decry Democrats' 'war on women' tactic
- NAPOLITANO: What if our democracy is a fraud?
- Astronaut shares 'saddest photo' from space: Bombs bursting over Israel, Gaza
- EDITORIAL: Obamacare enrollees faking for freebies
Obama's biggest White House 'fails'
Celebrities turned politicians
Athletes turned actors
20 gadgets that changed the world
Fighting in Iraq