- Israel hits symbols of Hamas rule; scores killed
- Mississippi abortion law can’t be enforced
- Teacher who survived Sandy Hook has book deal
- Jury awards Jesse Ventura $1.8M in case vs. ‘American Sniper’ author Chris Kyle
- Government OKs Arab-owned company to operate U.S. cargo port
- Defense lawyer: McDonnell’s wife had ‘crush’ on CEO
- Chinese hackers stole ‘huge quantities’ of sensitive data on Israel’s Iron Dome
- House unveils bill to speed deportations of illegal immigrant children
- Californians protest middle school for hiring white man to teach cultural studies
- Killer’s sentencing overturned because mother couldn’t find seat in courtroom
P.G. toddler finds gun, fatally shoots himself
Question of the Day
Prince George’s County police are investigating how a toddler got hold of the gun he used to fatally shoot himself in his family’s apartment Monday night.
The toddler was identified Tuesday as 2-year-old Davion Shamar Prince of the 6200 block of Oxon Hill Road.
Officers received a call at about 8 p.m. saying the boy had “shot himself,” police spokesman Cpl. Larry Johnson said.
Cpl. Johnson said the mother heard the gunshot from another room, then ran in to find her son seriously wounded. Davion was pronounced dead at a hospital.
The name of the mother was not released.
Dawn Pittman, a neighbor in the Riverside Plaza apartments, described the family as normal and nice.
“She was very attentive, and he was an active 2-year-old little boy,” Ms. Pittman said. “We knew them as neighbors. We saw each other, we spoke. They were nice people.”
Ms. Pittman said she didn’t hear the gunshot one floor below her and she wasn’t sure what happened until the forensics team and television crews arrived.arges
No charges have been filed.
In July, a 4-year-old boy was wounded by his 5-year-old friend while the two were at a playground outside a Temple Hills apartment complex in Prince George’s County.
© Copyright 2014 The Washington Times, LLC. Click here for reprint permission.
About the Author
Meredith Somers is a Metro reporter for The Washington Times. She can be reached at email@example.com.
- Teen girl exorcised by priest, sends demonic text messages in response
- Obama nominates Rabbi David Saperstein as ambassador for religious freedom
- John Kerry: Millions displaced by religious fighting in 2013
- No official word yet on Pope Francis visit: Archdiocese of Philadelphia
- Higher Ground: War no deterrent
Latest Blog Entries
TWT Video Picks
- Boehner rules out impeachment: 'Scam started by Democrats'
- Obama: 'Not a new Cold War,' but new Russia sanctions announced
- Obama thanks Muslims for 'building the very fabric of our nation'
- Federal judge grants 90-day stay in D.C. gun case
- Smugglers, rainstorm combine to poke holes in border fence
- PHILLIPS: Once-in-a-century stupidity
- Obama's brother wears Hamas scarf bearing anti-Israel slogans in photo
- HURT: Impeaching Obama is a losing strategy for the GOP
- Kerry's credibility questioned as fighting in Gaza rages
- D.C. seeks to stay judge's order allowing gun owners to carry in public
Obama's biggest White House 'fails'
Celebrities turned politicians
Athletes turned actors
20 gadgets that changed the world