- Dick’s Sporting Goods lays off 478 PGA golf pros
- Senators: Cease-fire must allow Israel to defend against rockets, tunnels
- Sierra Leone doctor fighting Ebola catches disease
- Iraq welcomes Russian fighter jets, helicopter gunships into ISIL fight
- John McCain laments: Obama’s ‘self-pity … is really kind of sad’
- GOP offer to fix VA gives $10 billion in emergency funds
- Paul Ryan offers to repair U.S. economic safety net with a single grant stream
- Kim Jong-un builds bond with Putin: $250M Russia-backed addition to key port opens
- Pope Francis meets Meriam Ibrahim, a Sudanese woman sentenced to death
- Detroit porch shooting trial: Suspect says he didn’t know gun was loaded
Texas QB Gilbert out for season, shoulder injury
Question of the Day
AUSTIN, TEXAS (AP) - Texas quarterback Garrett Gilbert, who lost his starting job after the second game, will miss the rest of the season for the No. 19 Longhorns after having surgery on his right throwing shoulder.
Gilbert was hurt in the first game against Rice but the injury was not disclosed until Tuesday, the day he had surgery. Gilbert started the next game against BYU, was pulled in the second quarter and demoted to third string last week.
"He had symptoms, but was not affected in practice leading up to BYU. After that, it got progressively worse," Texas athletic trainer Kenny Boyd said.
Doctors examined the shoulder again last week and recommended surgery, Boyd said, adding Gilbert is expected to make a full recovery.
Gilbert said he opted for surgery now, "so I can get it taken care of, start my rehab and be healthy and ready to go for next year."
Gilbert's surgery leaves Texas (3-0) with just two scholarship quarterbacks on the roster: sophomore starter Case McCoy and freshman David Ash, who has already received significant playing time. Redshirt freshman Connor Wood, who was No. 4 after training camp, transferred to Colorado.
Gilbert, a junior, did not play in Texas' 49-20 win over UCLA, the Longhorns' return trip to the Rose Bowl where they lost to Alabama in the 2010 BCS championship game.
Gilbert played a big role in the loss to Alabama, coming off the bench as freshmen in the first quarter in relief of injured starter Colt McCoy. Gilbert threw four interceptions but rallied Texas with two second-half touchdown passes before Alabama pulled away late.
Gilbert was the starter for the 2010 season when Texas fell to 5-7 and missed a bowl game for the first time since 1997. He won a four-way battle for the starting job in training camp, but was pulled from the BYU game after throwing two first-quarter interceptions. He was 7-7 in his career as a starter.
Texas' next game is Oct. 1 at Iowa State.
The subsidies are a hit with patients who don't exist
- Hamas rejects Kerry's call for cease-fire; Fears grow others could join fight against Israel
- 'We're coming for you, Barack Obama': Top U.S. official discloses threat from ISIL terrorists
- Algerian plane diverted due to storms, second aircraft: 116 missing
- Obama's empty tough-talk: Gun prosecutions plummet on his watch
- House panel OKs resolution to sue president for Obamacare delays
- Conservative groups decry Democrats' 'war on women' tactic
- Obama says public not familiar enough with issues
- Evidence shows Russia firing artillery into Ukraine: Pentagon
- Astronaut shares 'saddest photo' from space: Bombs bursting over Israel, Gaza
- Doctor, 2 others shot at Pennsylvania hospital: reports
Obama's biggest White House 'fails'
Celebrities turned politicians
Athletes turned actors
20 gadgets that changed the world
Fighting in Iraq