- Obama takes aim at ‘corporate deserters’
- Dick’s Sporting Goods lays off 478 PGA golf pros
- Senators: Cease-fire must allow Israel to defend against rockets, tunnels
- Sierra Leone doctor fighting Ebola catches disease
- Iraq welcomes Russian fighter jets, helicopter gunships into ISIL fight
- John McCain laments: Obama’s ‘self-pity … is really kind of sad’
- GOP offer to fix VA gives $10 billion in emergency funds
- Paul Ryan offers to repair U.S. economic safety net with a single grant stream
- Kim Jong-un builds bond with Putin: $250M Russia-backed addition to key port opens
- Pope Francis meets Meriam Ibrahim, a Sudanese woman sentenced to death
Davis wins Johnson seat on P.G. council
Question of the Day
Derrick Leon Davis easily beat a field of 13 Democrats in Tuesday’s Prince George’s County Council primary to become the likely replacement for former Council member Leslie E. Johnson.
Mr. Davis, a former county schools employee and current board of trustees chairman for the Maryland Automobile Insurance Fund, received 55.3 percent of the nearly 6,500 primary votes cast, according to county elections officials.
Arthur Turner finished second with 19.4 percent of votes and Mark Polk placed third with 9.8 percent.
Mr. Davis, who finished second to Johnson in last year’s primary but was buoyed this year by an endorsement from County Executive Rushern L. Baker III, a Democrat, will face Republican Day Gardner in an Oct. 18 general election. Miss Gardner ran unopposed in her party’s primary Tuesday and received all 97 votes.
Mr. Davis is expected to easily win the heavily Democratic district’s general election and replace Johnson on the nine-member council. Johnson resigned in July after pleading guilty in June to witness- and evidence-tampering charges.
© Copyright 2014 The Washington Times, LLC. Click here for reprint permission.
About the Author
David Hill joined The Washington Times in February 2011 as a Maryland political reporter. He can be reached at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Md. drivers could face eventual doubling of gas tax
- Federal appeals court restores Maryland's concealed carry law
- Md. bill would end student suspensions for mimicking gun behavior
- Maryland Senate passes bill decriminalizing small amounts of marijuana
- Virginia Gov. Bob McDonnell assailed on transportation
Latest Blog Entries
TWT Video Picks
By Michael Widlanski
Leveling the battlefield to aid terrorists enables evil to fight on
- 'We're coming for you, Barack Obama': Top U.S. official discloses threat from ISIL terrorists
- NAPOLITANO: What if our democracy is a fraud?
- Hamas rejects Kerry's call for cease-fire; Fears grow others could join fight against Israel
- Evidence shows Russia firing artillery into Ukraine: Pentagon
- Obama orders Pentagon advisers to Ukraine
- Obama's empty tough-talk: Gun prosecutions plummet on his watch
- SOWELL:Bordering on immigration madness
- CARSON: Costco and the perils of mixing politics and business
- Algerian plane diverted due to storms, second aircraft: 116 missing
- Presidents of Honduras, Guatemala blame U.S. for border children crisis
Obama's biggest White House 'fails'
Celebrities turned politicians
Athletes turned actors
20 gadgets that changed the world
Fighting in Iraq