- Taliban vow to ‘use all force’ to disrupt Afghan elections
- Atheists sue to remove ‘Ground Zero Cross’ from 9/11 museum
- Bishop in Aleppo: ‘We Christians live in fear in Syria’
- Oscar Pistorius vomits during graphic testimony
- Toronto Mayor Rob Ford flubs daylight saving time advice: ‘Turn your clocks back’
- Americans don’t support sending U.S. troops to Ukraine
- Florida lawmakers move to wipe corrupt ‘Boss Hogg’ town from map
- N.C. math whiz to unveil secret of March Madness picks
- An appealing offer: Chiquita merges with Fyffes to make world’s largest banana firm
- Amnesty International says Syria guilty of war crimes for food blockade
Big 12’s Beebe out, binding TV rights on table
That future includes finding a replacement for Texas A&M. Boren said an expansion committee within the Big 12 had been restarted, but offered no timeline.
Texas has said it wants the Big 12 to stay at 10 teams. Others may want to go back to 12.
As for the Aggies?
Texas A&M’s president, R. Bowen Loftin, participated in the call as a voting member but Boren said “no one should take that as a signal that they have changed their minds.” Boren said the other nine members did nothing to remove the threat of legal action that has kept A&M’s departure from being finalized.
“I think that it’s highly likely that they will go to the SEC,” Boren said. “They’re so far down the line, I think, with the SEC that I don’t think they are likely to change their mind.”
Texas A&M spokesman Jason Cook said the school is not sticking around.
“Another key to the (Big 12’s) stability will be for the league to assist Texas A&M with our departure. The events of this week were positive in that regard,” Cook said.
AP Sports Writers Jeff Latzke, Betsy Blaney and AP Writer Alan Scher Zagier contributed to this report.
Taxpayers must pay the freight for over-budget train projects
- Kim Jong-un calls for execution of 33 Christians
- Rand Paul wins 2014 CPAC straw poll, Ted Cruz finishes a distant second
- Senate Democrats, Republicans spar over restoring unemployment benefits
- CURL: Today's GOP really is Reagan's 'Big Tent' party
- As Crimea falls, Obama takes Key Largo golf vacation, Biden hits Virgin Islands
- Mitch McConnell on beating tea party: 'We are going to crush them'
- SAUERBREY: Taxing Marylanders until they flee
- Russia besieges Crimea as U.S. seeks diplomacy; Putin remains undeterred by Obama's sanctions
- Investigators puzzle: How does a 777 jetliner just disappear into thin air?
- U.S. pilot scares off Iranians with 'Top Gun'-worthy stunt: 'You really ought to go home'
Pope Francis meets his 'mini-me'
Celebrity deaths in 2014
Winter storm hits states — again