- Mexican train carrying 1,300 migrants headed toward U.S. derails
- Secret Service begins regular K-9 patrols around White House
- Pentagon’s human memory-chip program moves forward
- Obama blasts GOP, ignores immigration crisis in Texas speech
- Marine Warfighting Lab tests the Godzilla of amphibious assault vehicles
- Harry Reid: Birth-control ruling the worst Supreme Court decision in 25 years
- Vet suicides ‘horrible human cost’ of VA dysfunction: lawmaker
- First marijuana customer in Spokane says he was fired
- Hagel: ‘Make no mistake,’ ISIL is an ‘imminent’ threat to U.S.
- Armed militia sets up Texas command center to ‘fight for national sovereignty’
Big 12 should add Boise State
Question of the Day
Boise State is not a member of the Association of American Universities, which bills itself as association of 61 leading research institutions.
Boise State is also not among the top 200 institutions of higher learning ranked by the magazine U.S. News and World Reports.
If you’re wondering why the Pac-12 picked Utah and Colorado over Boise State when it expanded last season, market size and academics are your answers.
But now the Big 12 is looking for another member and the schools that have been mentioned as most likely targets have been independent BYU, Louisville and West Virginia from the Big East, and Houston from Conference USA.
TCU, in the MWC but headed to the Big East next season, makes sense geographically, but interim Big 12 Commissioner Chuck Neinas has said there is resistance among some current members about adding a school from a market the league already owns.
So how about adding a football program with a national brand? Boise State has become, like Notre Dame football and Duke basketball, one of the most polarizing teams in the nation.
Some people love the Broncos, those plucky BCS busters who knock off bullies from power the traditional power conferences.
Some people hate them, with their inflated record, built on a schedule loaded with patsies.
“There are other schools that are in major markets, but don’t deliver their markets in any shape or form,” Benson said. “But how many television sets does Boise State turn on? It’s probably greater than other programs from automatic qualifying conferences that are in major markets.”
Neinas said that he doesn’t like the idea of far-flung leagues, and BYU and Louisville have campuses much closer to the current Big 12 footprint than Boise.
But if the Big 12 wants to bring in a member that will create a buzz nationally and spark interest in the conference beyond its borders, it should invite the Broncos.
Or it can invite a basketball school (Louisville) in the 50th ranked TV market.
IN CASE YOU MISSED IT
Most of the country was in bed by the time Hawaii’s Bryant Moniz matched an NCAA record with seven first-half touchdown passes in the Warriors’ 49-0 victory against UC Davis from the lower-tier of Division I football.
By Ken Allard
Only the National Guard can re-establish homeland security
- Armed militia sets up Texas command center to 'fight for national sovereignty'
- HUSAIN: The fake caliph of 'The Islamic State'
- IRS employee suspended for pro-Obama activities
- Va. Democrat reportedly seeks nude shots of Kendall Jones
- Amid border crisis, Obama to take 15-day vacation in Martha's Vineyard
- ISTOOK: Flying illegals home would be 99.5 percent cheaper than Obamas plan
- HUSAR: Mexicos Pena Nieto passes the immigration bucket
- Illegal immigrants showing up at border with 'Yes we can' Obama shoes: report
- GOP: Lerner warned IRS employees to hide information from Congress
- Sgt. Andrew Tahmooressi denied freedom by Mexican judge
Obama's biggest White House 'fails'
Celebrities turned politicians
Athletes turned actors
20 gadgets that changed the world
Fighting in Iraq
World Cup's sexiest WAGs
U.S.-Ghana World Cup opener