- Israel hits symbols of Hamas rule; scores killed
- Mississippi abortion law can’t be enforced
- Teacher who survived Sandy Hook has book deal
- Jury awards Jesse Ventura $1.8M in case vs. ‘American Sniper’ author Chris Kyle
- Government OKs Arab-owned company to operate U.S. cargo port
- Defense lawyer: McDonnell’s wife had ‘crush’ on CEO
- Chinese hackers stole ‘huge quantities’ of sensitive data on Israel’s Iron Dome
- House unveils bill to speed deportations of illegal immigrant children
- Californians protest middle school for hiring white man to teach cultural studies
- Killer’s sentencing overturned because mother couldn’t find seat in courtroom
Big 12 should add Boise State
Question of the Day
Florida’s Terry Dean (1994), Florida’s Doug Johnson (1997) and San Diego State’s Dennis Shaw (1969) also have thrown seven TD passes in a half.
Moniz’s performance brought back memories of a record-setting game that was nothing to celebrate.
Houston’s David Klingler threw 11 touchdown passes in an 84-21 victory against lower-division Eastern Washington on Nov. 18, 1990. Klingler broke the record with 13:35 left in the fourth quarter and came out with 8:24 left.
No doubt Moniz could have challenged the record, but fortunately Hawaii coach Greg McMackin didn’t feel the need to run it up the way Houston coach John Jenkins did back in the Run-n-Shoot heyday.
_ How does a defense give up 533 yards and still have a great night? Field position. Thanks to the great punting of Brad Wing, No. 1 LSU had West Virginia backed up to its goal line for most of the Tigers’ 47-21 victory. The Mountaineers began eight drives inside their 20 and none of their 11 better than their 29. That’s lots of ground to cover just to get to midfield.
_ Big loss for Penn State. Starting linebacker Michael Mauti, the team’s best defensive player, is out for the season after tearing the ACL in his left knee in 34-6 win over Eastern Michigan.
_ In a matchup of two coaches in some trouble, Georgia’s Mark Richt beat Mississippi’s Houston Nutt 27-13. Nutt is in his fourth season with the Rebels and after two straight Cotton Bowl appearances with a team mostly recruited by his predecessor, Ed Orgeron, Nutt is 5-11.
Huge conference games.
No. 8 Nebraska plays its first Big Ten game at No. 7 Wisconsin.
No. 2 Alabama visits SEC rival No. 12 Florida, with the Gators appearing to be resurgent under new coach Will Muschamp.
No. 13 Clemson, coming off of consecutive home wins against Auburn and Florida State, travels to No. 11 Virginia Tech in the ACC’s marquee game.
- Boehner rules out impeachment: 'Scam started by Democrats'
- Obama: 'Not a new Cold War,' but new Russia sanctions announced
- Obama thanks Muslims for 'building the very fabric of our nation'
- Federal judge grants 90-day stay in D.C. gun case
- Smugglers, rainstorm combine to poke holes in border fence
- PHILLIPS: Once-in-a-century stupidity
- Obama's brother wears Hamas scarf bearing anti-Israel slogans in photo
- HURT: Impeaching Obama is a losing strategy for the GOP
- Kerry's credibility questioned as fighting in Gaza rages
- D.C. seeks to stay judge's order allowing gun owners to carry in public
Obama's biggest White House 'fails'
Celebrities turned politicians
Athletes turned actors
20 gadgets that changed the world