- Clintons call Klein, Halper, Kessler ‘a Hat Trick of despicable actors’: report
- Boehner accuses Obama of ‘legacy of lawlessness’
- Pro-marijuana group claims responsibility for Brooklyn Bridge flag swap
- Young adults shun Obamacare mostly due to cost: survey
- Stabbing attack on transgender girl, 15, was ‘bias motivated,’ police say
- LGBT adults still lean overwhelmingly toward Democratic Party
- Lawmakers rattled by Syria genocide horrors, call on Obama to act
- 3 African leaders cancel trip to U.S. over Ebola outbreak; Obama still plans summit
- Sarah Palin’s online channel hits snag as Stephen Colbert buys similar URL
- SWAT spends seven hours in standoff with empty home
Colin Powell leadership book due out in 2012
Question of the Day
NEW YORK (AP) - Colin Powell’s new book is a story of success.
The retired four-star general and former Secretary of State has a deal with HarperCollins for “It Worked for Me: Lessons in Leadership and Life.”
According to HarperCollins, the book will include his 13 rules of leadership and “revealing personal stories.”
Financial terms were not disclosed. HarperCollins announced Sunday that the book was scheduled for May 2012.
One of Powell’s rules, “Get mad, then get over it,” will be tested in his book. HarperCollins spokeswoman Tina Andreadis declined to comment on whether Powell would respond to criticisms in recent memoirs by former Secretary of Defense Donald Rumsfeld or former Vice President Dick Cheney, both of whom Powell often clashed with while in the George W. Bush administration.
Cheney’s “In My Time” noted their differences about the Iraq War and alleged that Powell was reluctant to express himself in Cabinet meetings. Powell has since said that Cheney’s book included “cheap shots.”
Once considered a presidential contender, Powell wrote a best-selling memoir, “My American Journey,” published in 1995. Powell has not written about his years as secretary of state, but was interviewed by Washington Post reporter Karen DeYoung for her 2006 biography, “Soldier: The Life of Colin Powell.”
TWT Video Picks
By Ted Cruz
Israel saves its enemies; Hamas endangers its friends
- CIA admits improperly hacking Senate computers in search of Bush-era information
- Chicken pox outbreak puts illegal immigrant facility on lockdown
- CRUZ: A tale of two hospitals: One in Israel, one in Gaza
- GOP report sees ties between rich donors, green 'nonprofits'
- U.S. troops told not to eat, drink in front of Muslims during Ramadan
- Al Gore's climate-changers at EPA hearings foiled by cool temperatures
- Catholic League slams Obama: 'Do Christian lives mean so little to you?'
- Israel surprised by Hamas tunnel network
- House votes to sue President Obama over claims of presidential power
- EDITORIAL: The real Lois Lerner exposed in newly released emails
Obama's biggest White House 'fails'
Celebrities turned politicians
Athletes turned actors
20 gadgets that changed the world