- Unbeliebable: White House turns Bieber petition response into immigration screed
- Obama signs law denying Iran ambassador’s visa, but says law is ‘advisory’
- Mich. judge to laughing convicted killer: ‘I hope you die in prison’
- Man charged in Kansas City-area highway shootings
- Keystone XL pipeline still on hold after State Dept. decision
- Fla. man charged with killing 16-month-old son to play Xbox undisturbed
- Drones from the deep: Pentagon develops ocean-floor attack robots
- Michigan mayor slaps back atheists’ try to erect ‘reason station’ at city hall
- PHILLIPS: Where is the conservative establishment?
- 7.5-magnitude earthquake shakes southern Mexico
Shakira named Latin Grammys person of year
MIAMI (AP) - Shakira is the 2011 Latin Recording Academy person of the year.
The Colombian singer and seven-time Latin Grammy winner will be honored Nov. 9 at the 12th annual Tribute Gala in Las Vegas for her artistic and philanthropic contributions. Friends and notable artists will salute her with their own versions of her songs during the gala.
Shakira is up for three awards, including album of the year, a day later at the Latin Grammys. The show will be broadcast live on the Univision Network.
The 34-year-old becomes the youngest person of the year to receive the tribute. Previous recipients include Placido Domingo, Carlos Santana, Gloria Estefan, Julio Iglesias and Ricky Martin.
Shakira called the award “truly an honor” in a statement she released Monday.
TWT Video Picks
Women losing coverage under Obamacare, too
- Scalia to students on high taxes: At a certain point, 'perhaps you should revolt'
- Former Ranger breaks silence on Pat Tillman death: I may have killed him
- Special Forces' suicide rates hit record levels casualties of 'hard combat'
- Feds approve powdered alcohol; 'Palcohol' available later this year
- Nancy Pelosi washes immigrants' feet in humble Holy Week act then promotes on Twitter
- Army goes to war with National Guard, seizes Apache attack helicopters
- U.S. Navy to turn seawater into jet fuel
- Harry Reid blasts Bundy ranch supporters as 'domestic terrorists'
- EDITORIAL: Mark Warner running scared?
- Inside China: Marine's comment on islands draws sharp Chinese response
Top 10 handguns in the U.S.