- ‘Tis the Season: London florist creates $4.6 million Christmas wreath
- No tailgating allowed at Super Bowl XLVIII
- Pentagon to transport African troops to Central African Republic
- Chinese man fed up with his girlfriend’s shopping jumps to his death
- Ukraine leader to talk with protesters; Washington urges caution
- Pope Francis: A nun saved my life
- Israeli P.M. Netanyahu backs out of Mandela funeral
- Elian Gonzalez makes first trip outside Cuba since custody battle
- U.S., British intelligence agents enter online sci-fi world to spy on gamers
- Sarah Palin to host the outdoors show ‘Amazing America’
Heckler calls Obama ‘the Antichrist’ at L.A. fundraiser
A heckler apparently angry about President Obama’s policy toward gays in the military called Mr. Obama “the Antichrist” at a fundraiser in Los Angeles on Monday night before security dragged the man out.
Mr. Obama had just begun speaking at the House of Blues in West Hollywood, telling master of ceremonies Jesse Tyler Ferguson, an actor on the TV show “Modern Family,” that “Michelle and the girls love them some 'Modern Family.'”
“The end of ‘don’t ask, don’t tell’ is the signature achievement of our time,” Mr. Ferguson told the president and the crowd.
That’s when a bearded man standing in the front row near the stage shouted, “Jesus Christ is the son of God!” A pool reporter covering the event said the heckler also yelled, “Christian God is the one and only true living God, the creator of heaven and the universe!”
“I agree,” Mr. Obama said. He stopped talking as the crowd booed. Then the audience started chanting: “Four more years! Four more years!” to drown out the heckler.
Someone threw a jacket toward the stage. As security workers hauled the man away, Mr. Obama quipped, “Is that his jacket?”
“First of all, I agree Jesus Christ is the Lord,” Mr. Obama said. “I believe in that. I do have a question, though: I think the young man may have left his jacket, so make sure that he gets his jacket.”
Trying to focus again on his remarks and get the jacket returned to its rightful owner, the president said: “See, we’re having all kinds of confusion here. Oh, goodness gracious. Well, listen, all right, where was I? It is good to be back in L.A.”
Later, when a friendlier heckler shouted out, “Don’t forget medical marijuana!” Mr. Obama replied, “Thank you for that.”
© Copyright 2013 The Washington Times, LLC. Click here for reprint permission.
About the Author
Dave Boyer is a White House correspondent for The Washington Times. A native of Allentown, Pa., Boyer worked for the Philadelphia Inquirer from 2002 to 2011 and also has covered Congress for the Times. He is a graduate of Penn State University. Boyer can be reached at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Treasury sells last shares in 'Government Motors'
- Obama pleads for peace in strife-torn Central African Republic
- Obamas, Bushes fly together to Mandela's memorial service
- Obama: Hole U.S. 'digging out of' requires billions more in unemployment benefits
- Biden: U.S., world 'will not accept' a nuclear-armed North Korea
Latest Blog Entries
By Tom Fitton
New photos confirm the attack's coordination and its cover-up
- Chinese man fed up with his girlfriend's shopping jumps to his death
- Israeli P.M. Benjamin Netanyahu backs out of Nelson Mandela funeral
- Obama lied about Syrian chemical attack, 'cherry-picked' intelligence: report
- CURL: Obama tells a whopper on IRS scandal
- Lawmakers see 'false narrative' of Obama as a terrorist fighter
- MSNBC host: Obamacare a 'wealthy white men' racist word
- Satanists petition for statue at Oklahoma Statehouse
- Inside China: Nuclear submarines capable of widespread attack on U.S.
- MILLER: Brady Campaign says Colorado recalls due to NRA, not grassroots opposition to gun control
- Ted Cruz sees legal landmines ahead for Obamacare
Independent voices from the The Washington Times Communities
The Constitution: Every issue, every time. No exceptions, no excuses. And how to get from here to there.
Crystal Wright is a black conservative woman living in Washington, D.C.
All of the world’s problems, solved on your back porch
Why can’t humans just be free to be humans?
White House pets gone wild!
Let it snow