- Twitter crashes for second time in nine days
- Charles Manson associate Bruce Davis granted parole
- Israeli warplanes pound 29 Palestinian sites in Gaza: ‘Direct hits’ confirmed
- Eric Holder to give thumbs-up to drop jail time for drug offenders
- N.J. Gov. Chris Christie faces fire for Superstorm Sandy dollars: ‘Where’s the governor?’
- Pope Francis shakes Vatican Bank with ‘earthquake’ reforms
- White House: Obamacare didn’t matter in Florida special election
- Last laugh: Marine vet fires off jokes from the grave with own obituary
- Gas blast destroys 2 N.Y. buildings; 6 people dead
- 2 dead, 23 hurt when driver plows into SXSW crowd
Businesses post most job openings in 3 years
Companies in July advertised the most jobs in three years, and layoffs declined - a bit of hope for a weak economy. Still, many employers are in no rush to fill openings.
The Labor Department said Wednesday that employers increased their postings to 3.23 million from 3.17 million in June. That is the largest number of openings since August 2008. Typically, it takes anywhere from one to three months to fill an opening.
More openings don’t guarantee more jobs. The government said last week that employers failed to add any net jobs in August, the worst month for hiring since September 2010. The unemployment rate stayed for the second straight month at 9.1 percent.
Mr. Bowles was chief of staff in the Clinton White House from 1996 to 1998. He ran unsuccessfully for the U.S. Senate in 2002 and 2004 on the Democratic ticket. He was president of UNC from 2006 to 2010.
His appointment expands Facebook’s board to seven members.
More reserve oil releases deemed unlikely
The U.S. and more than two dozen other countries that make up the IEA put 60 million barrels of oil into the market this summer in an effort to drive down skyrocketing oil prices. Supplies were particularly tight because Libyan exports had slowed to a trickle during the uprising against Moammar Gadhafi while demand generally rises in the warmer summer months.
© Copyright 2014 The Washington Times, LLC. Click here for reprint permission.
TWT Video Picks
By Emily Miller
Obama is losing the debate on gun ownership, concealed-carry permits
- Oil rig worker says he saw missing plane go down: report
- GOP bill tries to pull courts into fight with Obama on executive power, enforcing laws
- Ukrainian PM accuses Putin of wanting war
- Inside the Beltway: A new interest in Rahm Emanuel for 2016?
- Malaysia: No debris in area shown on China images
- NRA shirt gets N.Y. high school student suspended
- Critics point to Obama's attempts to sell health care as no laughing matter
- Kim Jong-un calls for execution of 33 Christians
- CURL: Calm down, conservatives: Obama's 'Two Ferns' bit was brilliant
- Military families would take a $5,000 hit in benefits with Obama budget
Chaos as Manhattan building explodes
Pope Francis meets his 'mini-me'
Celebrity deaths in 2014
Winter storm hits states — again