Roadside bombs kill eight as forces prepare for spike
KABUL — Roadside bombs killed eight people around Afghanistan in the past two days as security forces braced for a possible spike in violence ahead of the 10th anniversary of the Sept. 11 attacks against the United States, NATO and Afghan officials said Thursday.
NATO said two of its service members were killed in the south and officials said a Turkish engineer and five Afghan soldiers were killed in separate incidents in the country’s west and east. NATO did not provide any further details about the attack and did not prove their nationalities.
The NATO deaths bring the total in September for international forces to seven. A total of 330 members of the international military coalition have died so far this year.