- ‘Gay Jeans’ that fade into rainbow-colored denim created
- Divided court strikes down big porn award
- Jimmy Carter: Don’t hurt Russian people with sanctions
- Oldest ex-MLB player dies in Cuba, 2 days shy of 103rd birthday
- ‘Top Gun’ for drones: Squadrons of carrier-based killers have Navy’s approval
- Bill Clinton to endorse Charlie Rangel for re-election
- Pfc. Bradley Manning is now Pfc. Chelsea Manning: Court says so
- Secret base U.S. special forces used to train Libyans now under terrorist control: report
- 9th suspect in N.C. kidnapping turns self in to FBI
- L.A. sheriff admits to testing flyover spy program without notifying residents
Jessica Alba, others, mark National Poetry Month
LOS ANGELES (AP) - Jessica Alba is adding her voice to National Poetry Month, helping to lure children into the art form.
Alba is among more than a dozen celebrity parents whose poetry readings are airing on the Disney and Disney Junior channels this month.
Readings by Viola Davis, Caroline Kennedy, Liev Schreiber and Katie Holmes also are featured in “A Poem Is ….”, a short-form series that sets verse to classic Disney animation.
Langston Hughes, Mary Ann Hoberman and May Swenson are among the writers whose work is included.
Alba, who has two daughters, chose a Mexican folk song, “De Colores” (“Of Colors”), which reflects her Hispanic heritage. Her segment will air at 11:55 a.m. EDT Monday and at 6:55 a.m. EDT April 29, on the Disney Channel, and will play at various times on Disney Junior.
Joining poetry and imagery is “just a really great way to introduce kids to poetry,” including those too young to read, Alba said.
It’s also reflects the “genius of `edu-tainment,’ a new word I’ve been introduced to since I’ve become a mother,” Alba said. Her definition: “tricking your kids into learning.”
The actress (“Fantastic Four: Rise of the Silver Surfer,” “Dark Angel”) says her own poetry dabblings have taken a sharp turn.
“I have a lot of teen angst on paper,” Alba said. “Now I just kind of make up songs for my girls. I have little poems that I sing to them before they go to sleep, to the tune of `Twinkle Twinkle (Little Star).’”
TWT Video Picks
By Andrew P. Napolitano
Obama's veil of secrecy is pierced
- Pentagon plans to replace flight crews with 'full-time' robots
- 'Top Gun' for drones: Squadrons of carrier-based killers have Navy's approval
- Kansas will nullify local regulation of guns
- Nevada rancher Cliven Bundy hailed as patriot, ripped as lawless deadbeat
- America is an oligarchy, not a democracy or republic, university study finds
- Opposition rising to Colorado gun control laws
- CARSON: When government looks more like foe than friend
- Texas is next! AG warns BLM wants 90,000 acres after Bundy ranch standoff
- Harry Reid using tax dollars to fight Koch brothers, La. GOP chair charges
- Washington Redskins' 2014 schedule opens with Texans
Top 10 handguns in the U.S.
Celebrity deaths in 2014