- Ted Cruz thanks Obama for denying visas to terrorists
- Survivors recall chaos, fear in Everest avalanche
- General Mills apologizes for ‘right to sue’ confusion, reverses policy
- Dealer wanted in U.S. for art fraud nabbed in Spain
- Easter morning delivery for space station
- Boxer Rubin ‘Hurricane’ Carter dies at 76
- Probe could complicate Rick Perry’s prospects
- Ukraine, Russia trade blame for eastern shootout
- Obamas head to church on Easter morning
- In Colorado, a pot holiday tries to go mainstream
Jessica Alba, others, mark National Poetry Month
LOS ANGELES (AP) - Jessica Alba is adding her voice to National Poetry Month, helping to lure children into the art form.
Alba is among more than a dozen celebrity parents whose poetry readings are airing on the Disney and Disney Junior channels this month.
Readings by Viola Davis, Caroline Kennedy, Liev Schreiber and Katie Holmes also are featured in “A Poem Is ….”, a short-form series that sets verse to classic Disney animation.
Langston Hughes, Mary Ann Hoberman and May Swenson are among the writers whose work is included.
Alba, who has two daughters, chose a Mexican folk song, “De Colores” (“Of Colors”), which reflects her Hispanic heritage. Her segment will air at 11:55 a.m. EDT Monday and at 6:55 a.m. EDT April 29, on the Disney Channel, and will play at various times on Disney Junior.
Joining poetry and imagery is “just a really great way to introduce kids to poetry,” including those too young to read, Alba said.
It’s also reflects the “genius of `edu-tainment,’ a new word I’ve been introduced to since I’ve become a mother,” Alba said. Her definition: “tricking your kids into learning.”
The actress (“Fantastic Four: Rise of the Silver Surfer,” “Dark Angel”) says her own poetry dabblings have taken a sharp turn.
“I have a lot of teen angst on paper,” Alba said. “Now I just kind of make up songs for my girls. I have little poems that I sing to them before they go to sleep, to the tune of `Twinkle Twinkle (Little Star).’”
TWT Video Picks
Women losing coverage under Obamacare, too
- Scalia to students on high taxes: At a certain point, 'perhaps you should revolt'
- Former Ranger breaks silence on Pat Tillman death: I may have killed him
- Special Forces' suicide rates hit record levels casualties of 'hard combat'
- Feds approve powdered alcohol; 'Palcohol' available later this year
- U.S. Navy to turn seawater into jet fuel
- Justice at last: 'Evil woman' outed for grabbing girl's game ball
- CHARLES: Holder's undermining of the law deserving of contempt
- Army goes to war with National Guard, seizes Apache attack helicopters
- Jews being told to register in Ukraine: John Kerry
- EDITORIAL: Republicans finally fight back in phony 'war on women'
Top 10 handguns in the U.S.