- ISIL creates all-female brigade to terrorize women into following Sharia law
- ISTOOK: Obama wants to be impeached
- Obama to Latin leaders: Help with border
- Military bans troops from Baptist church event honoring ‘God’s Rescue Squad’
- ‘Pocket drones’: U.S. Army developing tiny surveillance tools for the next big war
- Belgian cafe posts sign: Dogs allowed, but Jews stay out
- Gen. Dempsey: Pentagon studying Russian readiness plans not viewed ‘for 20 years’
- John McCain: Botched, two-hour execution of murderer is ‘torture’
- House GOP ready to move border bill
- Bomb squad called after live WWII artillery washes on Cape Cod beach
SANDS: Buzzer-beater clinches chess title for Texas Tech
Question of the Day
Diamant-Holt, President’s Cup College Final Four, April 2012
1. c4 c6 2. e4 d5 3. exd5 cxd5 4. d4 Nf6 5. Nc3 e6 6. Nf3 Bb4 7. cxd5 Nxd5 8. Bd2 Nc6 9. Bd3 O-O 10. O-O Be7 11. Nxd5 exd5 12. Qb3 Bf6 13. Bc3 Rb8 14. Rfe1 Be6 15. Qc2 h6 16. Ne5 Bxe5 17. dxe5 Qb6 18. Qe2 Rfe8 19. Rad1 d4 20. Bd2 Bxa2 21. Qe4 g6 22. Qf4 Qc5 23. Rc1 Qf8 24. Qg3 Qg7 25. f4 Be6 26. Be4 Bf5 27. Bd5 Red8 28. Qf3 d3 29. Bxc6 bxc6 30. b4 Qf8 31. Rxc6 Rxb4 32. e6 Bxe6 33. Rcxe6 fxe6 34. Qg4 Rb6 35. Qxg6+ Qg7 36. Qh5 Rb2 37. Rxe6 Rb6 38. Re3 Rg6 39. Qf3 Qa1+ 40. Re1 Qb2 41. Qf2 Qd4 42. Re8+ Kf7 43. Rxd8 Qxd8 44. Qxa7+ Kg8 45. Qa2+ Kh7 46. Qf7+ Rg7 47. Qf5+ Kh8 48. Qe5 Qb6+ 49. Kf1 Qc6 50. Bc3 Qxg2+ 51. Ke1 Qg1+ 52. Kd2 Qxh2+ 53. Kxd3 Qg3+ 54. Ke2 Qg4+ 55. Ke1 Qg1+ 56. Ke2 Qg2+ 57. Ke1 Draw agreed.
Yu-Li, Chinese National Championships, April 2012
1. e4 e5 2. Nf3 Nc6 3. Bb5 a6 4. Ba4 Nf6 5. O-O Be7 6. Re1 b5 7. Bb3 d6 8. c3 O-O 9. h3 Nb8 10. d4 Nbd7 11. Nbd2 Bb7 12. Bc2 Re8 13. Nf1 Bf8 14. Ng3 g6 15. a4 c5 16. d5 c4 17. Be3 Nc5 18. Qd2 Qc7 19. Bh6 Bxh6 20. Qxh6 Qe7 21. Nh2 Kh8 22. Rf1 Rf8 23. Ra2 Rab8 24. axb5 axb5 25. Ra5 Bc8 26. Rfa1 Bd7 27. Ra7 Qd8 28. Nf3 Ng8 29. Qe3 f5 30. exf5 gxf5 31. Nxe5 f4 32. Qxc5 dxc5 33. Rxd7 Qxd7 34. Nxd7
fxg3 35. Nxf8 gxf2+ 36. Kxf2 Rxf8+ 37. Ke3 Re8+ 38. Kf3 Rf8+ 39. Kg3 Rd8 40. Rd1 Rd6 41. Kf4 Nh6 42. Bf5 Rf6 43. g4 Nf7 44. Ra1 h6 45. Ra7 Kg8 46. h4 Kf8 47. g5 Black resigns.
• David R. Sands can be reached at 202/636-3178 or by email at firstname.lastname@example.org.
© Copyright 2014 The Washington Times, LLC. Click here for reprint permission.
About the Author
Raised in Northern Virginia, David R. Sands received an undergraduate degree from the University of Virginia and a master’s degree from the Fletcher School of Law and Diplomacy at Tufts University. He worked as a reporter for several Washington-area business publications before joining The Washington Times.
At The Times, Mr. Sands has covered numerous beats, including international trade, banking, politics ...
- SANDS: Cadets battle as D.C. summer chess scene heats up
- SANDS: Winners take three paths to the top at the 42nd World Chess Open
- SANDS: Ortiz Suarez wins D.C., Smirin wins the World
- SANDS: Fourth time a charm as Troff captures U.S. junior chess title
- SANDS: Campaigning and competing on Capitol Hill
Latest Blog Entries
TWT Video Picks
President wants everyone but himself to pay more
- 'We're coming for you, Barack Obama': Top U.S. official discloses threat from ISIL terrorists
- 'Pocket drones': U.S. Army developing tiny spies for the next big war
- Ted Nugent loses second casino gig for 'racist remarks'
- Obama orders Pentagon advisers to Ukraine
- ISTOOK: Obama wants to be impeached
- NAPOLITANO: What if our democracy is a fraud?
- Afghan who killed three U.S. Marines in 2012 to serve over 7-year prison sentence
- EDITORIAL: Obama's 'economic patriotism' means higher taxes
- HUSAIN: Fleeing Iraqi Christians find safe haven at the Shrine of Imam Ali
- Brian Kelly, Notre Dame ready for different route to title
Obama's biggest White House 'fails'
Celebrities turned politicians
Athletes turned actors
20 gadgets that changed the world
Fighting in Iraq