- Michigan man among first in U.S. to get ‘bionic eye’
- JetBlue pilots vote to unionize; 2 previous attempts failed
- Pentagon plans to replace flight crews with ‘full-time’ robots
- Navy’s military dolphins may meet Putin’s porpoises in Black Sea
- Forget the Porsche — it’s the guy with the Prius that attracts the ladies, poll shows
- Fired Russian Facebook CEO says site has fallen in the hands of pro-Putin supporters
- Sen. Boozman of Arkansas has emergency heart surgery
- Brazil embraces drones to save the Amazon rain forest
- Teen stowaway shows holes in vast airport security
- Supreme Court to decide if passports can say ‘Jerusalem, Israel’
SANDS: Buzzer-beater clinches chess title for Texas Tech
Diamant-Holt, President’s Cup College Final Four, April 2012
1. c4 c6 2. e4 d5 3. exd5 cxd5 4. d4 Nf6 5. Nc3 e6 6. Nf3 Bb4 7. cxd5 Nxd5 8. Bd2 Nc6 9. Bd3 O-O 10. O-O Be7 11. Nxd5 exd5 12. Qb3 Bf6 13. Bc3 Rb8 14. Rfe1 Be6 15. Qc2 h6 16. Ne5 Bxe5 17. dxe5 Qb6 18. Qe2 Rfe8 19. Rad1 d4 20. Bd2 Bxa2 21. Qe4 g6 22. Qf4 Qc5 23. Rc1 Qf8 24. Qg3 Qg7 25. f4 Be6 26. Be4 Bf5 27. Bd5 Red8 28. Qf3 d3 29. Bxc6 bxc6 30. b4 Qf8 31. Rxc6 Rxb4 32. e6 Bxe6 33. Rcxe6 fxe6 34. Qg4 Rb6 35. Qxg6+ Qg7 36. Qh5 Rb2 37. Rxe6 Rb6 38. Re3 Rg6 39. Qf3 Qa1+ 40. Re1 Qb2 41. Qf2 Qd4 42. Re8+ Kf7 43. Rxd8 Qxd8 44. Qxa7+ Kg8 45. Qa2+ Kh7 46. Qf7+ Rg7 47. Qf5+ Kh8 48. Qe5 Qb6+ 49. Kf1 Qc6 50. Bc3 Qxg2+ 51. Ke1 Qg1+ 52. Kd2 Qxh2+ 53. Kxd3 Qg3+ 54. Ke2 Qg4+ 55. Ke1 Qg1+ 56. Ke2 Qg2+ 57. Ke1 Draw agreed.
Yu-Li, Chinese National Championships, April 2012
1. e4 e5 2. Nf3 Nc6 3. Bb5 a6 4. Ba4 Nf6 5. O-O Be7 6. Re1 b5 7. Bb3 d6 8. c3 O-O 9. h3 Nb8 10. d4 Nbd7 11. Nbd2 Bb7 12. Bc2 Re8 13. Nf1 Bf8 14. Ng3 g6 15. a4 c5 16. d5 c4 17. Be3 Nc5 18. Qd2 Qc7 19. Bh6 Bxh6 20. Qxh6 Qe7 21. Nh2 Kh8 22. Rf1 Rf8 23. Ra2 Rab8 24. axb5 axb5 25. Ra5 Bc8 26. Rfa1 Bd7 27. Ra7 Qd8 28. Nf3 Ng8 29. Qe3 f5 30. exf5 gxf5 31. Nxe5 f4 32. Qxc5 dxc5 33. Rxd7 Qxd7 34. Nxd7
fxg3 35. Nxf8 gxf2+ 36. Kxf2 Rxf8+ 37. Ke3 Re8+ 38. Kf3 Rf8+ 39. Kg3 Rd8 40. Rd1 Rd6 41. Kf4 Nh6 42. Bf5 Rf6 43. g4 Nf7 44. Ra1 h6 45. Ra7 Kg8 46. h4 Kf8 47. g5 Black resigns.
• David R. Sands can be reached at 202/636-3178 or by email at email@example.com.
© Copyright 2014 The Washington Times, LLC. Click here for reprint permission.
About the Author
Raised in Northern Virginia, David R. Sands received an undergraduate degree from the University of Virginia and a master’s degree from the Fletcher School of Law and Diplomacy at Tufts University. He worked as a reporter for several Washington-area business publications before joining The Washington Times.
At The Times, Mr. Sands has covered numerous beats, including international trade, banking, politics ...
- SANDS: Fields set for next month's U.S. championship chess tourneys
- SANDS: High-powered Webster claims second straight college chess crown
- SANDS: Rematch point: Chess champions, challengers often meet again
- SANDS: Steady Anand earns rematch with Carlsen for world chess title
- Anand earns rematch against Carlsen for chess title
Latest Blog Entries
TWT Video Picks
Feds who send arms against ranch families betray American values
- CARSON: When government looks more like foe than friend
- Nevada rancher Cliven Bundy hailed as patriot, renegade
- Tactical advantage: Russian military shows off impressive new gear
- IRS revokes conservative group's tax-exempt status over anti-Clinton statements: report
- America is an oligarchy, not a democracy or republic, university study finds
- ORTEL: Putin sees opportunities as Obama turns away
- Inside China: Marine's comment on islands draws sharp Chinese response
- Supreme Court upholds Michigan affirmative action ban
- Michelle Obama: Obama family Sundays are more for napping than church
- Bonuses given to IRS employes who owed back taxes
Top 10 handguns in the U.S.