- U.S. nuclear general boozed it up, chased ‘hot women’ in Russia: report
- 45 Calif. students at one school test positive for tuberculosis exposure
- Rob Ford on women: Give them cash ‘and they are happy’
- Ku Klux Klan group holds recruitment meeting in Maryland
- Airport assassination: Mayor, 3 others killed at Manila airport
- Tea party-type lawmakers take mysterious, off-books trip to Mideast
- North Korea warns South: We’ll attack ‘without warning’
- Congress sends sweeping defense bill to Obama
- Multiple injuries as balcony collapses at London’s Apollo theatre during performance
- Egypt rights center raided, 2 Mubaraks acquitted
Ex-military chiefs concerned about automatic spending cuts
Question of the Day
Retired military chiefs say they expect automatic budget cuts will force the Defense Department to reduce its spending by $500 billion over the next 10 years, in addition to the nearly $500 billion the Pentagon already has sliced from its budget.
"There's no way that it won't take place," retired Gen. Ronald R. Fogleman, former Air Force chief of staff, said during a panel discussion hosted by the Center for Strategic and International Studies in Washington. "If you look at timelines, FY2013 begins in October."
The automatic spending reductions, known as sequestration, are set to go into effect Jan. 1 if Congress does not change the law requiring $1.2 trillion in federal budget cuts over the next decade.
President Obama has said he would veto any proposal that seeks to save only the Defense Department from the cuts.
Retired Gen. Peter W. Chiarelli, former Army vice chief of staff, said he believes the automatic cuts are inevitable.
"Some form of sequestration is going to take place," he said.
Under sequestration, the Pentagon would be required to cut $52 billion from its already-reduced budget next year.
Gen. Fogleman said personnel cuts need to be accelerated and reserve forces need to be used more effectively.
"The all-volunteer force, as it is presently sized and comprised, is unaffordable," he said.
Gen. Chiarelli disagreed, saying that personnel are being cut at the right pace.
"I would take issue that personnel can be cut much faster than they are being cut," he said, adding it is important that troops have enough time at home between deployments.
© Copyright 2013 The Washington Times, LLC. Click here for reprint permission.
About the Author
Kristina Wong is a national security reporter for The Washington Times, covering defense, foreign policy and intelligence affairs. She can be reached at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Despite Pentagon cuts and eye on Pacific, Air Force implored to save the 'Warthog'
- Pentagon welcomes budget deal but says more defense spending needed
- Rep. Hunter to Pentagon: Don't lower combat standards for women
- Scientists raise alarm over plan to destroy Syria's chemical weapons at sea
- Hagel renews Qatar defense pact despite differences over Iran, Syria
By Michael P. Orsi
Edward Snowden should declare his patriotism in court
- Citing 'unfair system,' Obama commutes sentences for 8 crack offenders
- Huge backlash mounts over suspension of 'Duck Dynasty' star Phil Robertson
- Homeland Security helps smuggle illegal immigrant children into the U.S.
- Gov't wasted $30 billion on 'pillownauts,' crystal goblets -- buying human urine!
- Deportations under Obama plunged to just 1 percent last year
- Sebelius adds yet another exemption for Obamacare
- PRUDEN: 'Tis the season for apologies
- EDITORIAL: Red faces at the White House
- Obamacare 'pajamas boy' gets roundly mocked
- Bill Gates: The Secret Santa disguised as a 'friendly fellow' on Reddit
Independent voices from the The Washington Times Communities
Southern Fried Politics from the Lens of a Persian-American Millennial
All of the world’s problems, solved on your back porch
Top 10 handguns in the U.S.
Extraordinary day at Redskins Park
White House pets gone wild!
Let it snow