- ‘I Am Alive’ app gains popularity in terror-ravaged Lebanon
- Gun giveaways gain popularity among Republican candidates
- S.C. hospital worker slapped with $525 federal fine for refilling $0.89 soda
- Teen from ‘Jihad Jane’ plot becomes youngest ever to serve time on U.S. terror charges
- Iranian woman forgives son’s killer at the gallows
- Nebraska principal sorry for ‘don’t tattle’ flier
- Illinois readies to spend $100M for Obama museum in Chicago
- John Edwards back in court — this time as a lawyer for Va. boy’s malpractice case
- Covered California reports more than 200K in overtime Obamacare sign-ups
- Thanks, Chuck: Hagel says U.S. sending Ukraine sleeping mats, helmets
FONTOVA: Strike two for Ozzie Guillen
Marlins manager picked wrong town to go to bat for Fidel Castro
Last week Miami Marlins man- ager Ozzie Guillen told Time magazine that he loves and respects Fidel Castro. This week, reacting to outrage by Americans of Cuban heritage, who comprise a huge chunk of Marlins ticket-buyers, the team suspended Mr. Guillen for five games. Apparently eager to head off worse retribution (and damage to ticket sales), a moping Mr. Guillen issued a groveling apology at a Miami news conference.
“I am here on my knees,” he whimpered. “I am here to say I am sorry with my heart in my hands. … I hurt a lot of people’s feelings. Now I want to apologize because I did the wrong thing. It was a very stupid comment. … This is the biggest mistake so far in my life. If I don’t learn from this mistake, then I will call myself dumb.”
c The very Time magazine that quoted his “respect” for Fidel Castro: In its “Heroes and Icons” issue, Time honors Mr. Castro’s chief hangman Che Guevara as among the most heroic and iconic of the lot, right alongside Anne Frank, Andrei Sakharov, Rosa Parks and Mother Teresa. “This obscure Argentine doctor who abandoned his profession and his native land to pursue the emancipation of the poor,” starts the eulogy. For the record: No proof of Ernesto Guevara’s medical degree exists.
c One-time presidential candidate, Presidential Medal of Freedom winner and “conscience” of the Democratic Party George McGovern: “Fidel Castro is very shy and sensitive. I frankly like him and regard him as a friend.”
c Former President of the United States and official “elder statesman” of the Democratic Party Jimmy Carter: “Fidel Castro first and foremost is and always has been a committed egalitarian. He wanted a system that provided the basic needs to all - enough to eat, health care, adequate housing and education. Cuba has superb systems of health care and universal education. … We greeted each other as old friends.”
c NBC’s Andrea Mitchell: “Fidel Castro is old-fashioned, courtly - even paternal, a thoroughly fascinating figure!”
c Dan Rather: “Fidel Castro could have been Cuba’s Elvis!”
c CNN founder Ted Turner: “Fidel Castro is one helluva guy!”
c Rep. Charles B. Rangel, who during a thundering ovation in the mass-murderer’s honor in Harlem’s Abyssinian Baptist Church in 1995 and with Democratic Rep. Maxine Waters looking on in rapture, waddled up to the podium beside the tyrant and - oomph!- engulfed him in a mighty bear hug.
c Time magazine in January 1996 when it hailed Fidel Castro as “The Toast of Manhattan!” The title referred to Mr. Castro’s reception by Manhattan’s beautiful people on the terrorist/torturer’s visit to New York.
“The Hottest Ticket in Manhattan!” also read a Newsweek story that week, referring to the social swirl that engulfed Mr. Castro in New York by the media luminaries. These included Peter Jennings, Tina Brown, Bernard Shaw, Mike Wallace, Barbara Walters, among many, many others. Fox News’ David Asman, then with the Wall Street Journal and obviously smitten, approached Fidel Castro and smilingly asked for his autograph.
Diane Sawyer was so overcome in his presence that she rushed up, broke into that toothy smile of hers, wrapped her arms around Mr. Castro and smooched him warmly on the cheek.
TWT Video Picks
By Joy Overbeck
Redemption by government is futile
Get Breaking Alerts
- Joe Biden's first Instagram pic mocked as shill for sunglass ad
- Inside China: Marine's comment on islands draws sharp Chinese response
- Jews being told to register in Ukraine: John Kerry
- Obama taunts GOP, takes nationally televised victory lap on Obamacare
- BOLTON: A 'three-state solution' for Middle East peace
- Army goes to war with National Guard, seizes Apache attack helicopters
- Chavez seizes Cargill factory
- 'Culture of intimidation' seen in Nevada ranch standoff
- U.S. pilot scares off Iranians with 'Top Gun'-worthy stunt: 'You really ought to go home'
- IRS emails reveal discussion with Justice about suing nonprofits for election activities
Recent Letters to the Editor
- LETTER TO THE EDITOR: Probe Boston teen's medical, custody case
- LETTER TO THE EDITOR: Bundy support a modern-day Tiananmen protest
- LETTER TO THE EDITOR: An honorable president would resign
- LETTER TO THE EDITOR: Bundy support demonstrates voters' distrust
- LETTER TO THE EDITOR: Obamacare disasters were avoidable