- Howard Dean cheers Obama’s approach to Russian aggression
- Sen. Elizabeth Warren’s childhood nickname? ‘The Surprise’
- Democrat Grimes backs Keystone XL pipeline in Kentucky Senate race
- China spends for 17 new warships as U.S. cuts back military
- In Japan, Obama plays soccer with a robot and warns students of climate change
- FDA proposes ban on e-cigarette sales to minors
- Wyoming gas plant explosion sends entire town fleeing
- Aborted fetuses from British Columbia incinerated in Oregon plant to make electricity
- Motolotov cocktail thrown a Brooklyn mini-mart
- 3 Americans dead in shooting at Kabul hospital by Afghan guard
Afghan officials seek patience, funding for war effort
Afghan officials visiting Washington this week asked the West to have patience with the Afghan war effort.
“I ask the people and the government of the United States that you have come a long way with us on a long, difficult journey, the final destination is now within the reach,” Defense Minister Gen. H.E. Abdul Rahim Wardak said Thursday at the Center for Strategic and International Studies. “Please help us to reach the final destination.”
Gen. Wardak’s comments come just ahead of a NATO defense ministerial meeting in Brussels next week, and ahead of a NATO conference in May in Chicago, where members are expected to pledge financial support to sustain the Afghan National Security Forces after international combat troops leave in 2014.
The agreement would dictate the future diplomatic and economic U.S.-Afghan relationship after 2014, and is seen by experts as key to a stable withdrawal of NATO troops from Afghanistan.
“These partnerships help us look beyond 2014 … [and] provide stability both for Afghanistan and the region,” he said.
© Copyright 2014 The Washington Times, LLC. Click here for reprint permission.
About the Author
Kristina Wong is a national security reporter for The Washington Times, covering defense, foreign policy and intelligence affairs. She can be reached at email@example.com.
- Despite Pentagon cuts and eye on Pacific, Air Force implored to save the 'Warthog'
- Pentagon welcomes budget deal but says more defense spending needed
- Rep. Hunter to Pentagon: Don't lower combat standards for women
- Scientists raise alarm over plan to destroy Syria's chemical weapons at sea
- Hagel renews Qatar defense pact despite differences over Iran, Syria
TWT Video Picks
By Andrew P. Napolitano
Obama's veil of secrecy is pierced
- Obama avoids 'red line' for China, prepared to impose tougher sanctions on Russia
- 'Top Gun' for drones: Squadrons of carrier-based killers have Navy's approval
- Pentagon plans to replace flight crews with 'full-time' robots
- Nevada rancher Cliven Bundy hailed as patriot, ripped as lawless deadbeat
- In the company of a saint: Catholic Church will canonize Pope John Paul and Pope John XXIII
- America is an oligarchy, not a democracy or republic, university study finds
- In its hunt for Senate, Republican candidates campaign against Harry Reid
- CARSON: When government looks more like foe than friend
- Washington Redskins' 2014 schedule opens with Texans
- NAPOLITANO: A legal way to kill?
Top 10 handguns in the U.S.
Celebrity deaths in 2014