- Argentina beats Dutch in shootout to reach World Cup final
- Tanard Jackson suspended indefinitely by NFL — again
- FAA investigating fireworks drone flights
- Pentagon: We’ll give Obama a drone strike with al-Baghdadi’s name on it
- Marine in Mexican custody to get day in court after 101 days
- Senate OKs San Antonio mayor as housing secretary
- NFL star likely fooled by Marine impostor who accepted first-class plane ticket
- Sen. Ted Cruz tweets Obama directions from fundraisers to border towns
- Israel hits key Hamas targets in Gaza offensive
- Ten-year sentence for New Orleans’ Nagin on graft charges
Gang members plead guilty in NoVa sex-trafficking ring
Question of the Day
Two of the five gang members arrested last month on charges related to a Virginia sex-trafficking ring have pleaded guilty for their roles in recruiting and trafficking high school-age girls for prostitution.
Michael Tavon Jefferies, 23, and Christopher Sylvia, 21, both pleaded guilty to charges of trafficking a juvenile in federal court in Alexandria on Thursday. They face anywhere from a minimum 10 years to life in prison.
Both men were members of the Fairfax County-based set of the Underground Gangster Crips and had trafficked juveniles and adults with other gang members. Jefferies admitted to serving as a bodyguard and collecting money for prostitution, and Sylvia admitted to assisting with the transportation of the prostitutes, according to the Virginia attorney general’s office.
Members of the gang recruited underage girls through various means, including approaching them outside high schools, at Metro stations and on websites such as Craigslist and Facebook. They also drugged, beat and used other forms of intimidation to keep the girls from leaving once they were recruited, according to court papers.
Fairfax County police and the FBI began investigating the sex-trafficking ring in November 2011 but had been looking into incidents related to the case as early as April 2009, according to court papers.
© Copyright 2014 The Washington Times, LLC. Click here for reprint permission.
TWT Video Picks
By Ted Cruz
Banning speech with a constitutional amendment is playing with fire
- GOP: Lerner warned IRS employees to hide information from Congress
- White House plans for bowling alley upgrades abruptly canceled
- GORDON: Russia plays its own game away from the World Cup
- ISTOOK: Flying illegals home would be 99.5 percent cheaper than Obamas plan
- Colorado man offers Obama a toke of marijuana a Rocky Mountain 'high'
- Obama requests $3.7 billion to fight surge of illegals
- Facebook allows 'Kill Kendall Jones' page, but deletes her game hunting photos
- EDITORIAL: Whats Obama hiding at illegal-alien 'refugee' camps?
- Malaysian MP not sorry for tweeting 'long live Hitler' after Germany win
- Islamic militants aim to take Baghdad airport
Obama's biggest White House 'fails'
Celebrities turned politicians
Athletes turned actors
20 gadgets that changed the world
Fighting in Iraq
World Cup's sexiest WAGs
U.S.-Ghana World Cup opener