- Mexican train carrying 1,300 migrants headed toward U.S. derails
- Secret Service begins regular K-9 patrols around White House
- Pentagon’s human memory-chip program moves forward
- Obama blasts GOP, ignores immigration crisis in Texas speech
- Marine Warfighting Lab tests the Godzilla of amphibious assault vehicles
- Harry Reid: Birth-control ruling the worst Supreme Court decision in 25 years
- Vet suicides ‘horrible human cost’ of VA dysfunction: lawmaker
- First marijuana customer in Spokane says he was fired
- Hagel: ‘Make no mistake,’ ISIL is an ‘imminent’ threat to U.S.
- Armed militia sets up Texas command center to ‘fight for national sovereignty’
Inside Politics: Dems mark anniversary of Romney health care law
Question of the Day
At the time, Mr. Smith was interning for the Democratic-controlled state Senate. He was fired after the incident.
Mr. Smith told the station that he doesn’t regret acting against Mr. Romney but would choose a different way next time.
Unemployment applications up in the past week
More people sought unemployment benefits last week, suggesting that the job market’s recovery remains slow.
The increase also likely reflects some seasonal volatility because applications for unemployment aid frequently rise around the Easter holiday. Many school employees are laid off temporarily during spring breaks and can file for benefits.
Weekly unemployment benefit applications jumped 13,000 to a seasonally adjusted 380,000, the Labor Department said Thursday. The previous week’s figures also were revised higher. The four-week average, a less volatile gauge, rose to 368,500.
After declining steadily since the fall, applications have leveled off in recent weeks. The four-week average is essentially unchanged over the past two months.
• From wire dispatches and staff reports
TWT Video Picks
Senate majority leader practices politics of personal destruction
- Armed militia sets up Texas command center to 'fight for national sovereignty'
- HUSAIN: The fake caliph of 'The Islamic State'
- IRS employee suspended for pro-Obama activities
- Va. Democrat reportedly seeks nude shots of Kendall Jones
- HUSAR: Mexicos Pena Nieto passes the immigration bucket
- Amid border crisis, Obama to take 15-day vacation in Martha's Vineyard
- Sgt. Andrew Tahmooressi denied freedom by Mexican judge
- GOP: Lerner warned IRS employees to hide information from Congress
- PRUDEN: 'Dirty Harry' Reids increasing eccentricity
- ISTOOK: Flying illegals home would be 99.5 percent cheaper than Obamas plan
Obama's biggest White House 'fails'
Celebrities turned politicians
Athletes turned actors
20 gadgets that changed the world
Fighting in Iraq
World Cup's sexiest WAGs
U.S.-Ghana World Cup opener