- Family removed from Southwest flight over tweet about rude agent, dad says
- Michael Bloomberg thumbs FAA ban, plots course to Israel
- California bans full-contact football practices in off-season
- Thune: Downed fighter jets show more evidence of separatist capabilities
- Obama tells DNC fundraising crowd: ‘I’m not overly partisan’
- Chambliss: Downed jet ultimately goes back to Putin
- Perdue strategy: Run against Reid, Obama, Pelosi
- White House: More changes to contraception mandate coming
- ‘Operation Normandy’ set to send 3,500 volunteers to border to ‘stop an invasion’
- Netanyahu’s spokesman: Safe to fly to Israel
Resale of the week: Classic Colonial in Oak Hill
Question of the Day
The Oak Hill neighborhood in Northern Virginia, surrounded by Reston, Vienna, Oakton and Chantilly, provides residents with easy access to commuter routes, shopping centers and parks. Many of the homes in this community back to woods, but few offer the parklike setting of the home on the market at 11928 Bennett Road in Oak Hill.
Listed for $650,000, this single-family home rests on a 1-acre lot, which includes an expansive, level backyard flanked by mature trees. Designed for a nature-loving family, this property offers four seasons of natural beauty.
In the summer, the focal point for friends and family will be the swimming pool, which has a diving board and an extensive deck. Multiple layers of decks link the swimming pool and the backyard with the home. Built-in benches have been placed on several of the decks, and some sections include gazebolike covered areas.
Green lawns, garden beds and natural areas fill the rest of the fenced-in yard, which has an irrigation system in the front and back of the house. An extended front driveway and roundabout create ample parking for guests in addition to the two-car garage.
The classic Colonial-style residence of brick and siding is filled with natural light and has been updated recently with new ceramic tile flooring, renovated baths, refinished hardwood flooring, granite counters and updated lighting. This home, which has approximately 4,000 finished square feet on three levels, has been designed to accommodate both comfortable family life and more formal entertaining in any season.
The covered front porch includes elegant columns and provides a pleasant setting while waiting for guests to arrive. Inside, the foyer has new ceramic tile flooring and an updated powder room with ceramic tile flooring. The foyer also has a coat closet.
The formal living room extends from the front to the back of the house, with windows at both ends. French doors link the living room with the family room. The living room has refinished hardwood flooring and crown and chair-rail molding.
On the opposite side of the foyer is the formal dining room, which has refinished hardwood flooring, crown and chair-rail molding and a built-in china cabinet. The dining room has a double window facing the front lawn and a pass-through to the kitchen.
The kitchen, which has been updated with granite counters and new ceramic tile flooring, has brushed-nickel hardware and a window over the sink. An adjacent hallway includes doors to the garage and to the screened porch and leads to the laundry room and a room-size walk-in pantry with another door to the porch.
The screened porch is a lovely three-season space with garden and nature views and one wall of exposed brick.
The main level also includes a spacious 15-by-20-foot family room with entrances to the living room, kitchen and deck. The family room has hardwood flooring, crown molding and a wood stove in front of an exposed-brick wall with a single wood beam for a mantel and a niche for storing wood.
Hardwood stairs lead to the upper level, which has hardwood flooring throughout the hallway and the bedrooms. The corner master suite includes windows on two sides with views of the backyard and trees. The suite has a separate dressing area with a window and closets, plus an updated private bath with a skylight and subway tile flooring.
The second and third bedrooms have chair-rail molding, a closet and windows on two sides. The fourth bedroom overlooks the swimming pool and backyard and has built-in bookcases, a closet and French doors. These three bedrooms share an updated hall bath with double sinks, a double window, subway tile flooring, partial tile walls and a combination shower and tub.
The finished lower level includes extensive storage rooms as well as areas for entertaining and relaxing. The lower level, updated this year, has Berber carpet, crown and chair-rail molding and an L-shaped recreation room with two areas for seating. One section includes a wood-burning fireplace with a brick hearth and surround set into an exposed-brick wall. Near the fireplace is a built-in wood bar. A door leads to a walk-up to the backyard.
Nearby is a recently renovated full bath with a shower. The lower level also includes a den with a double-door closet.
TWT Video Picks
Retailer pays a price for getting too close to Obama
- CARSON: Costco and the perils of mixing politics and business
- House task force to recommend National Guard on border, faster deportations
- Obama orders Pentagon advisers to Ukraine
- Two Ukrainian fighter jets shot down
- HURT: The cost of 'free' water in Detroit
- David Perdue defeats Jack Kingston in Georgia Republican Senate primary runoff
- Beretta moving to Tennessee over Maryland gun laws
- DEACE: How to go from civil rights icon to bigot in one quote
- D.C. appeals panel deals big blow to Obamacare subsidies
- IRS seeks help destroying another 3,200 computer hard drives
Obama's biggest White House 'fails'
Celebrities turned politicians
Athletes turned actors
20 gadgets that changed the world
Fighting in Iraq