- Air Force cadets ‘revolt’ after officials remove biblical verse from whiteboard
- Rep. Lee: Paul Ryan out of touch with urban Americans
- House votes down resolution to force Issa to apologize
- Kremlin blocks opposition websites; Kasparov fears Putin plans ‘something drastic’
- Saving trees? EPA wastes $1.5 million storing unneeded pamphlets in warehouse
- Scott Brown Senate bid in New Hampshire may launch soon
- Jeffrey Corzine, son of ex-N.J. governor, dead at 31
- Australian surfing magazine sorry for calling indigenous surfer ‘apeish’
- Records: Man in Fla. theater shooting also was texting
- The Putin problem: U.S. needs Russian rockets for spy satellites
Arena deal crumbles, Sacramento’s NBA future shaky
NEW YORK (AP) - The Kings‘ future in Sacramento is uncertain again.
A tentative deal for a new arena has fallen apart, leaving open the possibility the team’s owners could again try to move from California’s capital.
“Is the deal dead? As we know it, absolutely,” Sacramento Mayor Kevin Johnson said Friday.
The Maloof family has balked at terms of the agreement reached last month, and though they say they want to remain in Sacramento, Johnson isn’t so sure after meeting with them Friday and hearing their list of concerns he said hadn’t previously been disclosed.
“It just feels like they were coming up with reasons of why not to do the deal,” Johnson said.
So a year after Johnson came to New York to begin his fight to save the team, his city is in jeopardy of losing it all over again.
Admitting he was angry and questioning the Maloofs’ trustworthiness, Johnson praised his city’s efforts but said he doesn’t know what will happen now.
“They are now saying they don’t want to do the deal, which essentially means they don’t want to be in Sacramento, and that’s very, very disappointing,” he said.
The Kings say otherwise.
“We are committed to remaining the Sacramento Kings,” the team said in a statement.
But they stressed _ as did Commissioner David Stern _ that the deal was “always nonbinding,” and the Maloofs always had the right to decide they were no longer comfortable with the terms.
“The negotiations that have occurred surrounding, as Commissioner Stern said repeatedly today during his news conference, a `non-binding framework,’ never resulted in a deal that was good for the City or good for the team,” the Kings said.
It was a stunningly swift and disappointing result for Sacramento officials who thought they were on their way to holding onto the team just weeks ago.
They had met with the Maloofs and league officials during the NBA’s All-Star weekend in Orlando in February, celebrating a tentative deal to fund the estimated $391 million arena that would open for the 2015-16 season in the downtown Sacramento rail yards.
Co-owner Gavin Maloof was in tears then in a joint announcement of the deal, which the Sacramento City Council passed its end of in early March. The deal was brokered by the league _ with the Maloofs’ permission, according to Johnson _ and tentatively agreed to by the Kings.
By Bob Dole
The industrious island has proved itself worthy of U.S. inclusion
- F-35 secrets now showing up in Chinas stealth fighter
- EXCLUSIVE: FBI blocked in corruption probe involving Sens. Reid, Lee
- USS Kidd sent to Indian Ocean after 'indication' of Malaysian jet crash
- Oil rig worker says he saw missing plane go down: report
- College group's diversity event canceled after excluding white people
- Warren Buffett's son to spend $23.7 million in effort to save South African rhinos
- Justice Department refuses info on hundreds of prosecutor misconduct cases
- U.S. pilot scares off Iranians with 'Top Gun'-worthy stunt: 'You really ought to go home'
- Kim Jong-un calls for execution of 33 Christians
- PRUDEN: Sink sank own campaign in Florida special election
Chaos as Manhattan building explodes
Pope Francis meets his 'mini-me'
Celebrity deaths in 2014
Winter storm hits states — again