- Obama military strategy too weak for future security, panel reports
- Sen. Tom Coburn vows to slow down budget-busting bills ahead of recess
- Obama fantasizes about more executive power, signs new order on federal contractors
- Clintons call Klein, Halper, Kessler ‘a Hat Trick of despicable actors’: report
- Boehner accuses Obama of ‘legacy of lawlessness’
- Pro-marijuana group claims responsibility for Brooklyn Bridge flag swap
- Young adults shun Obamacare mostly due to cost: survey
- Stabbing attack on transgender girl, 15, was ‘bias motivated,’ police say
- LGBT adults still lean overwhelmingly toward Democratic Party
- Lawmakers rattled by Syria genocide horrors, call on Obama to act
Brent Sutter to coach Canada at worlds
Question of the Day
CALGARY, ALBERTA (AP) - Brent Sutter wasn’t out of work for long.
The former Calgary Flames coach was hired as Canada’s head coach for the world hockey championships on Friday, a day after parting ways with the NHL team.
Tampa Bay Lightning coach Guy Boucher, and Kirk Muller, coach of the Carolina Hurricanes, will be Sutter’s assistants.
“This is a coaching staff that has a great deal of professional and international experience,” Team Canada general manager Kevin Lowe said in a statement. “Brent, Guy and Kirk are all looking forward to working with the 17 players we have named and leading this group to success in Helsinki.”
Flames GM Jay Feaster announced on Thursday that Sutter and the NHL club agreed to not renew his contract when it expired at the end of June. Calgary narrowly missed the playoffs in all three seasons under Sutter, compiling a 118-90-38 record overall.
Sutter has coached Canada in international competition before, leading the country to a gold medal at the 2005 and 2006 world juniors. He also led Canada to a 7-0-1 record at the 2006 Canada-Russia Super Series, which featured both countries’ national junior programs.
By Ted Cruz
Israel saves its enemies; Hamas endangers its friends
- Inside the Ring: Israel surprised by Hamas tunnel network
- Army's 3-D printed bombs to create 'a whole new universe' of lethal capabilities
- GOP leaders delay border bill, leave Obama in control
- Chicken pox outbreak puts illegal immigrant facility on lockdown
- CIA admits improperly hacking Senate computers in search of Bush-era information
- CRUZ: A tale of two hospitals: One in Israel, one in Gaza
- Report: 40% of weapons sent to Afghanistan are unaccounted for
- 3 African leaders cancel trip to U.S. over Ebola outbreak; Obama still plans summit
- Israel surprised by Hamas tunnel network
- Colorado poll shows women tuning out Democrats' 'war on women' strategy
Obama's biggest White House 'fails'
Celebrities turned politicians
Athletes turned actors
20 gadgets that changed the world