- Associated Press - Friday, April 13, 2012

MANAMA, BAHRAIN (AP) - Violence erupted in Bahrain between police and protesters on Friday, hours after Formula One boss Bernie Ecclestone declared the Gulf nation safe to host a grand prix next week.

All 12 teams told Ecclestone on Friday they were happy to travel to the tiny kingdom despite the ongoing political unrest and no extra safety precautions.

Speaking from Shanghai ahead of the Chinese Grand Prix, Ecclestone says he knows people “that live there and it’s all very quiet and peaceful.”

However, firebombs were hurled Friday by some protesters. They were chanting anti-government slogans, and riot police fired tear gas and bird shot to clear the crowds. Several people were injured by the bird shot pellets.

Last year, race organizers canceled the grand prix after an outbreak of violence.