- Donald Rumsfeld has ‘no idea’ if he paid taxes correctly
- Bradley Manning named honorary grand marshal of San Francisco Pride parade
- Look out PayPal: Facebook working toward mobile payments system
- U.S. rebukes Iran’s U.N. envoy pick over 1979 embassy attack
- Stoned mom avoids jail after driving 12 miles with baby on roof
- More than 100 ‘inappropriate’ encounters between NYC school staffers, students since 2009: report
- Joe Biden to Boston bombing survivors: ‘America will never, ever stand down’
- FBI failed to throughly vet Boston bombing suspect after Russian lead, report finds
- Atlanta Braves flooded with Hank Aaron hate mail: He’s a ‘scumbag’
- University: Help, our campus is too white
Redskins add secondary depth, sign FS Tanard Jackson
The Redskins on Friday signed free agent free safety Tanard Jackson, adding another competitor for playing time at the overhauled position.
Jackson has started 56 games in his five NFL seasons, all with the Tampa Bay Buccaneers. Tampa Bay released him Tuesday, claiming he failed a physical. Jackson played 10 games last season despite a torn rotator cuff and strains in both hamstrings. He had shoulder surgery three months ago and is expected be cleared to play June 1, according to the Tampa Bay Times.
Jackson, 26, played the last three seasons for Redskins defensive backs coach Raheem Morris, who was Tampa Bay’s head coach.
He was suspended for four games in 2009 for a repeat violation of the league’s substance abuse policy, and he played only two games in 2010 because NFL commissioner Roger Goodell suspended him indefinitely. The suspension ended up lasting 56 weeks.
Jackson has 239 career tackles, 10 interceptions, five forced fumbles, six fumble recoveries and two defensive touchdowns. He played high school ball at Bullis School in Potomac, Md.
He is expected to compete for playing time with newly-acquired free safety Brandon Meriweather among others.
© Copyright 2014 The Washington Times, LLC. Click here for reprint permission.
About the Author
- REDSKINS 2013: Breaking down the schedule, game by game
- NFL 2013: Ranking all 32 teams in terms of staying power
- REDSKINS 2013: Washington seeks staying power among NFL's elite
- With no blueprint, Redskin Hankerson seeks success as dad
- Redskins receiver Leonard Hankerson learning to manage family life with football career
Latest Blog Entries
By returning to goodness, the nation can achieve greatness once again
- Fuel-filled wings, ability to swarm: Pentagon offers glimpse at future of drone fleet
- Secret U.S. assessments show Afghanistan not ready to govern on own
- U.S. military on high alert as Ukraine troops trade gunfire with pro-Russian militants
- Nevada Bundy ranch standoff could leave dirt on Harry Reid reputation
- Russian fighter jet buzzes U.S. Navy destroyer in Black Sea
- 'Culture of intimidation' seen in Nevada ranch standoff
- U.S. Navy to turn seawater into jet fuel
- Al Qaeda mocks U.S. in 'extraordinary' Yemen gathering; experts fear C.I.A. caught flat-footed
- U.S. pilot scares off Iranians with 'Top Gun'-worthy stunt: 'You really ought to go home'
- Wal-Mart forced to apologize for 'mistake' favoring English-speaking shoppers
Celebrity deaths in 2014
Top 10 handguns in the U.S.
Chaos as Manhattan building explodes