- Gentlemen, start your drones: Judge’s ruling opens door for commercial use
- Soldier who hid, bragged about not saluting flag to be punished — in secret
- ‘Maverick’ of the seas: ‘Top Gun’ school for U.S. ship officers to launch
- Putin declares Sochi Paralympics open amid Ukrainian protest
- ‘In Jesus name, we pray’ sparks ire at Ohio council meeting
- Navy’s first laser weapon ready for prime time; drone killer to deploy this summer
- Billionaire backer: Rick Santorum ‘needs to be heard’ in 2016
- Obamacare fallout: 49 percent pessimistic; 45 percent ‘scared’
- DHS accused of holding U.S. citizen at airport, using emails to pry into her sex life
- Seattle socialist: Minimum-wage discussion skewed by ‘right-wing’ GAO analysis
Redskins add secondary depth, sign FS Tanard Jackson
The Redskins on Friday signed free agent free safety Tanard Jackson, adding another competitor for playing time at the overhauled position.
Jackson has started 56 games in his five NFL seasons, all with the Tampa Bay Buccaneers. Tampa Bay released him Tuesday, claiming he failed a physical. Jackson played 10 games last season despite a torn rotator cuff and strains in both hamstrings. He had shoulder surgery three months ago and is expected be cleared to play June 1, according to the Tampa Bay Times.
He was suspended for four games in 2009 for a repeat violation of the league’s substance abuse policy, and he played only two games in 2010 because NFL commissioner Roger Goodell suspended him indefinitely. The suspension ended up lasting 56 weeks.
Jackson has 239 career tackles, 10 interceptions, five forced fumbles, six fumble recoveries and two defensive touchdowns. He played high school ball at Bullis School in Potomac, Md.
He is expected to compete for playing time with newly-acquired free safety Brandon Meriweather among others.
© Copyright 2014 The Washington Times, LLC. Click here for reprint permission.
About the Author
- REDSKINS 2013: Breaking down the schedule, game by game
- NFL 2013: Ranking all 32 teams in terms of staying power
- REDSKINS 2013: Washington seeks staying power among NFL's elite
- With no blueprint, Redskin Hankerson seeks success as dad
- Redskins receiver Leonard Hankerson learning to manage family life with football career
Latest Blog Entries
Taxpayers must pay the freight for over-budget train projects
- CPAC 2014: Rand Paul urges conservatives to fight for liberty
- Putin has transformed Russian army into a lean, mean fighting machine
- Kim Jong-un calls for execution of 33 Christians
- EDITORIAL: Connecticut revolts against gun controls that could criminalize 300,000
- Bill Clinton poses for photo with Bunny Ranch prostitutes
- U.S. pilot scares off Iranians with 'Top Gun'-worthy stunt: 'You really ought to go home'
- Protests in Russia against Putin's actions in Ukraine a shift in attitudes
- Russian lawmaker wants to outlaw U.S. dollar, calls it a Ponzi scheme
- Aronofsky's 'Noah' banned in Qatar, Bahrain, United Arab Emirates
- High schooler suing parents for money shot down by judge
Pope Francis meets his 'mini-me'
Celebrity deaths in 2014
Winter storm hits states — again