- Israel, White House say Obama phone call to demand cease-fire was fake
- Nancy Pelosi: Deporting kids un-Christian, sends them ‘into a burning building’
- Islamist militants seize special forces base in Benghazi, Libya
- Feds sue Pennsylvania State Police over women’s fitness tests
- Israel accused of striking U.N. school, killing at least 15
- Israel hits symbols of Hamas rule; scores killed
- Mississippi abortion law can’t be enforced
- Teacher who survived Sandy Hook has book deal
- Jury awards Jesse Ventura $1.8M in case vs. ‘American Sniper’ author Chris Kyle
- Middle Eastern firm’s deal to manage U.S. cargo port raises security concerns
Redskins add secondary depth, sign FS Tanard Jackson
Question of the Day
The Redskins on Friday signed free agent free safety Tanard Jackson, adding another competitor for playing time at the overhauled position.
Jackson has started 56 games in his five NFL seasons, all with the Tampa Bay Buccaneers. Tampa Bay released him Tuesday, claiming he failed a physical. Jackson played 10 games last season despite a torn rotator cuff and strains in both hamstrings. He had shoulder surgery three months ago and is expected be cleared to play June 1, according to the Tampa Bay Times.
Jackson, 26, played the last three seasons for Redskins defensive backs coach Raheem Morris, who was Tampa Bay’s head coach.
He was suspended for four games in 2009 for a repeat violation of the league’s substance abuse policy, and he played only two games in 2010 because NFL commissioner Roger Goodell suspended him indefinitely. The suspension ended up lasting 56 weeks.
Jackson has 239 career tackles, 10 interceptions, five forced fumbles, six fumble recoveries and two defensive touchdowns. He played high school ball at Bullis School in Potomac, Md.
He is expected to compete for playing time with newly-acquired free safety Brandon Meriweather among others.
© Copyright 2014 The Washington Times, LLC. Click here for reprint permission.
About the Author
- REDSKINS 2013: Washington seeks staying power among NFL's elite
- REDSKINS 2013: Breaking down the schedule, game by game
- NFL 2013: Ranking all 32 teams in terms of staying power
- With no blueprint, Redskin Hankerson seeks success as dad
- Redskins receiver Leonard Hankerson learning to manage family life with football career
Latest Blog Entries
- Patent workers paid to exercise, shop, do chores: report
- Obama thanks Muslims for 'building the very fabric of our nation'
- Boehner rules out impeachment: 'Scam started by Democrats'
- CARSON: Rudderless U.S. foreign policy
- Ticket me Elmo? NYC mulls law for impersonators
- Smugglers, rainstorm combine to poke holes in border fence
- Obama mum on where illegal immigrant children are sheltered
- Federal judge grants 90-day stay in D.C. gun case
- Obama's brother wears Hamas scarf bearing anti-Israel slogans in photo
- Government OKs Arab-owned company Gulftainer to operate U.S. cargo port
Obama's biggest White House 'fails'
Celebrities turned politicians
Athletes turned actors
20 gadgets that changed the world