- Netanyahu’s driver accused of raping girls under age 12
- Putin calls Internet ‘CIA project’ that must be controlled
- Muslims offended that 9/11 museum movie speaks of jihad
- Obama marks Armenian massacre, avoids using the word ‘genocide’
- Gov. Rick Perry: ‘It’s not a dare, it’s a promise’; Texas will fight BLM
- Howard Dean cheers Obama’s approach to Russian aggression
- Sen. Elizabeth Warren’s childhood nickname? ‘The Surprise’
- Democrat Grimes backs Keystone XL pipeline in Kentucky Senate race
- China spends for 17 new warships as U.S. cuts back military
- In Japan, Obama plays soccer with a robot and warns students of climate change
Redskins add secondary depth, sign FS Tanard Jackson
The Redskins on Friday signed free agent free safety Tanard Jackson, adding another competitor for playing time at the overhauled position.
Jackson has started 56 games in his five NFL seasons, all with the Tampa Bay Buccaneers. Tampa Bay released him Tuesday, claiming he failed a physical. Jackson played 10 games last season despite a torn rotator cuff and strains in both hamstrings. He had shoulder surgery three months ago and is expected be cleared to play June 1, according to the Tampa Bay Times.
Jackson, 26, played the last three seasons for Redskins defensive backs coach Raheem Morris, who was Tampa Bay’s head coach.
He was suspended for four games in 2009 for a repeat violation of the league’s substance abuse policy, and he played only two games in 2010 because NFL commissioner Roger Goodell suspended him indefinitely. The suspension ended up lasting 56 weeks.
Jackson has 239 career tackles, 10 interceptions, five forced fumbles, six fumble recoveries and two defensive touchdowns. He played high school ball at Bullis School in Potomac, Md.
He is expected to compete for playing time with newly-acquired free safety Brandon Meriweather among others.
© Copyright 2014 The Washington Times, LLC. Click here for reprint permission.
About the Author
- REDSKINS 2013: Breaking down the schedule, game by game
- NFL 2013: Ranking all 32 teams in terms of staying power
- REDSKINS 2013: Washington seeks staying power among NFL's elite
- With no blueprint, Redskin Hankerson seeks success as dad
- Redskins receiver Leonard Hankerson learning to manage family life with football career
Latest Blog Entries
By Andrew P. Napolitano
Obama's veil of secrecy is pierced
- Obamacare class-action suit opens a new legal front
- Obama avoids 'red line' for China, prepared to impose tougher sanctions on Russia
- 'Top Gun' for drones: Squadrons of carrier-based killers have Navy's approval
- Nevada rancher Cliven Bundy hailed as patriot, ripped as lawless deadbeat
- 'Conservatives' should feel exposed by Bundy's racist comments: Scarborough
- Texas is next! AG warns BLM wants 90,000 acres after Bundy ranch standoff
- Sold out: Ukraine's leadership swapped best military weapons for cash
- America is an oligarchy, not a democracy or republic, university study finds
- In its hunt for Senate, Republican candidates campaign against Harry Reid
- Opposition rising to Colorado gun control laws
Top 10 handguns in the U.S.
Celebrity deaths in 2014