- Company stopped from accepting abortion waste
- Girl surprises Michelle Obama with unemployed dad’s resume
- ‘Harry Potter’ religion class seeks to enlighten students on ‘God, sin, and theodicy’
- ‘Optionally piloted’ Black Hawk helicopter clears tests; future missions to go ‘fully unmanned’
- Vice News reporter kidnapped in Ukraine is freed after being beaten, blindfolded
- FCC’s new ‘net neutrality’ proposal sparks outrage among consumer advocates
- Families of ferry’s lost confront South Korean officials
- 2-week truce for Sriracha hot sauce maker, California city
- NYC’s de Blasio seeks to ban wood-burning fireplaces
- Residents angry Obama mispronounced town’s name during mudslide visit
Redskins add secondary depth, sign FS Tanard Jackson
The Redskins on Friday signed free agent free safety Tanard Jackson, adding another competitor for playing time at the overhauled position.
Jackson has started 56 games in his five NFL seasons, all with the Tampa Bay Buccaneers. Tampa Bay released him Tuesday, claiming he failed a physical. Jackson played 10 games last season despite a torn rotator cuff and strains in both hamstrings. He had shoulder surgery three months ago and is expected be cleared to play June 1, according to the Tampa Bay Times.
Jackson, 26, played the last three seasons for Redskins defensive backs coach Raheem Morris, who was Tampa Bay’s head coach.
He was suspended for four games in 2009 for a repeat violation of the league’s substance abuse policy, and he played only two games in 2010 because NFL commissioner Roger Goodell suspended him indefinitely. The suspension ended up lasting 56 weeks.
Jackson has 239 career tackles, 10 interceptions, five forced fumbles, six fumble recoveries and two defensive touchdowns. He played high school ball at Bullis School in Potomac, Md.
He is expected to compete for playing time with newly-acquired free safety Brandon Meriweather among others.
© Copyright 2014 The Washington Times, LLC. Click here for reprint permission.
About the Author
- REDSKINS 2013: Breaking down the schedule, game by game
- NFL 2013: Ranking all 32 teams in terms of staying power
- REDSKINS 2013: Washington seeks staying power among NFL's elite
- With no blueprint, Redskin Hankerson seeks success as dad
- Redskins receiver Leonard Hankerson learning to manage family life with football career
Latest Blog Entries
By Andrew P. Napolitano
Obama's veil of secrecy is pierced
- Holder cancels speech, appearance in OKC amid angry protests
- In its hunt for Senate, Republican candidates campaign against Harry Reid
- Obamacare class-action suit opens a new legal front
- 'Top Gun' for drones: Squadrons of carrier-based killers have Navy's approval
- America is an oligarchy, not a democracy or republic, university study finds
- Nevada rancher Cliven Bundy hailed as patriot, ripped as lawless deadbeat
- 'Conservatives' should feel exposed by Bundy's racist comments: Scarborough
- HURT: President Obama's 'Selfie Doctrine'
- List Hillary Clinton's successes? State Dept. spokeswoman flubs answer
- Opposition rising to Colorado gun control laws
Top 10 handguns in the U.S.
Celebrity deaths in 2014