- No mas: Principal bans Spanish language in intercom announcement
- Hacking software could put ‘zombie drone army’ in user’s hands
- Support for stricter gun laws drops: poll
- 10 whales dead, 41 others stranded in Everglades
- John Boehner faces bipartisan pressure to allow gay-rights vote
- Martin Bashir resigns from MSNBC over ‘ill-judged’ comments about Sarah Palin
- Rep. Duncan Hunter: While Obama prays for Iranian change, U.S. should ready its nukes
- Best company ever? Veteran Beer Co. exists to employ vets, provide quality beer
- Iran official: Sanctions ‘utterly failed’ to stop nuclear program
- ‘Black Santa’ display at IU sparks student outrage
Chris Pontius’ 82nd-minute strike gives United 2-1 win over Revolution
FOXBOROUGH, Mass. — Chris Pontius curled a shot off the left wing into the far right corner in the 82nd minute, his first goal of the season, as the D.C. United beat the New England Revolution 2-1 Saturday.
New England had a six-match (5-0-1) unbeaten streak against D.C. United snapped. D.C. United is unbeaten in four matches (2-0-2), during which it has allowed two goals.
New England took the lead in the sixth minute on Jose Moreno’s first goal for the Revolution in his two games with them. United answered in the 19th minute when Maicon Santos finished one of D.C.’s eight first half corners.
Santos scored his third goal of the season for D.C. United 13 minutes later. After Nick DeLeon’s corner kick from the right wing, Dwayne DeRosario bicyle-kicked the ball from the far left corner atop the penalty box to the goalmouth where Santos headed the ball past New England goalie Matt Reis.
Reis made a superb diving save on Danny Cruz in the 12th minute, while New England midfielder Lee Nguyen knocked a loose ball off the goal line on a shot by Robbie Russell in the 22nd minute.
New England had two other superb scoring chances — Chris Tierney’s direct kick from the right side at 28 glanced off the left goal post, while Nguyen had glancing shot just miss the right post at 40.
- Apple wins facial recognition patent for iPhone 6
- First Dog Sunny knocks down Ashtyn Gardner; Michelle Obama yanks leash
- Hola: Boehner prepares to push amnesty bill through House
- Inside China: Nuclear submarines capable of widespread attack on U.S.
- MILLER: Obamas EPA closing smelter will not affect ammunition supply
- Kill team: Obama war chiefs widen drone death zones
- U.S. drops 2,000 mice on Guam by parachute to kill snakes
- HURT: Postal Service misses address by a whole continent
- Inside the Ring: China targeting U.S. spy flights
- HARPER: 'Knockout game' not a myth to liberal Sharpton
Independent voices from the The Washington Times Communities
The Constitution: Every issue, every time. No exceptions, no excuses. And how to get from here to there.
A libertarian look at breaking news and political trends by author Tom Mullen.
A stat-head’s outlook, direct from his worn in couch cushion.
Playing Through covers the world of PGA golf, as well as tips your the average golfer to play better.