- Strong quake hits Japan, triggering tsunami
- Sniper heaven: Pentagon’s self-guided bullets leave enemies nowhere to hide
- Violent gang taking advantage of immigration crisis, using border as recruiting hub
- Medicaid enrollment continues to soar under Obamacare, administration says
- Michelle Obama to Latinos: ‘We cannot afford to wait on Congress’ for immigration
- White House urges GOP to act ‘urgently’ on $3.7 billion request for illegal immigrants
- Politicians, criminals using ‘right-to-be-forgotten’ law EU courts forced upon Google
- Combat fatigue: elite special forces troops are ‘fraying,’ Gen. Joseph Votel warns
- German foreign minister to meet Kerry to discuss spying claims
- Florida police spokesman tells citizens: ‘Get yourself some firearms’
Jolie-Pitt engagement certain to fuel media frenzy
Question of the Day
LOS ANGELES (AP) — Will and Kate were just the warm up for the true wedding of the century.
If you thought the media circus involving the world’s most glamorous couple was on overdrive before, just wait. Now that Brangelina are officially engaged, expect endless speculation about where and when they’ll wed, what they’ll wear, what their kids’ roles will be, and who might get to attend the celebration.
“This is really a state wedding,” said Stephen Galloway, executive editor of features at The Hollywood Reporter. “This is America’s equivalent to Prince William and Kate Middleton.”
He called the Brangelina wedding “the media event of the new century.”
Pitt’s manager confirmed the couple’s engagement Friday after Jolie was spotted wearing a diamond ring on her wedding finger. Jeweler Robert Procop said he spent a year working with Pitt to design the ring.
“The prominent engagement ring is giving the world a warning,” Galloway said. “It says look out, get ready.”
But Bradley Jacobs, a senior editor at Us Weekly, sees things differently. He anticipates the wedding will be a private, even low-key affair.
“I don’t think you’re going to see a bunch of fanfare,” he said. “It’s certainly not going to be a Kim Kardashian-style wedding. … It’s going to be very subdued.”
Still, expect massive media coverage either way: “We will not rest until we know when and where and how and who’s going to be there,” Jacobs said.
Entire magazine issues could be devoted to each star’s wedding-day outfits and hairdos.
Jolie’s wedding dress is a career-making outfit for the winning designer.
Even Pitt’s look leaves room for ample speculation: Long hair or short? Facial scruff or clean shaven? A classic tuxedo? And designed by whom?
Then there’s the guest list. Who will be the best man and maid of honor? Will Jolie’s father, Jon Voight, attend? Will George Clooney be in the house? Jolie has said she doesn’t have many close friends.
TWT Video Picks
By Rabbi Shmuley Boteach
- Obama calls GOP lawsuit over executive overreach a 'political stunt'
- Pentagon's self-guided bullets leave enemies nowhere to hide
- A 'new Cold War': China's top paper warns of 'slippery slope' towards conflict with U.S.
- Michelle Obama to Latinos: 'We cannot afford to wait on Congress' for immigration
- PRUDEN: 'Dirty Harry' Reids increasing eccentricity
- Florida police spokesman tells citizens: 'Get yourself some firearms'
- Veteran with concealed weapon turns tables on Chicago gunman
- Google Glass-equipped rifles can fire around corners: It's 'mind-blowing when you actually do it'
- Armed militia sets up Texas command center to 'fight for national sovereignty'
- Hamas orders civilians to die in Israeli airstrikes
Obama's biggest White House 'fails'
Celebrities turned politicians
Athletes turned actors
20 gadgets that changed the world
Fighting in Iraq
World Cup's sexiest WAGs