- Obama takes aim at ‘corporate deserters’
- Dick’s Sporting Goods lays off 478 PGA golf pros
- Senators: Cease-fire must allow Israel to defend against rockets, tunnels
- Sierra Leone doctor fighting Ebola catches disease
- Iraq welcomes Russian fighter jets, helicopter gunships into ISIL fight
- John McCain laments: Obama’s ‘self-pity … is really kind of sad’
- GOP offer to fix VA gives $10 billion in emergency funds
- Paul Ryan offers to repair U.S. economic safety net with a single grant stream
- Kim Jong-un builds bond with Putin: $250M Russia-backed addition to key port opens
- Pope Francis meets Meriam Ibrahim, a Sudanese woman sentenced to death
American Scene: NYC subway plotter says making bombs ‘very simple’
Question of the Day
NEW YORK — The admitted mastermind of a foiled suicide attack on the New York City subways says he learned formulas for homemade bombs while at an al Qaeda training compound in Pakistan in 2008.
Najibullah Zazi testified for a second day Wednesday at the Brooklyn trial of Adis Medunjanin.
Zazi said al Qaeda instructors showed him how to mix chemicals found in nail polish remover and other common products found at beauty supply stores. He described the process as “very simple.”
Zazi and another man pleaded guilty and agreed to testify against Mr. Medunjanin in a bid for leniency.
Mr. Medunjanin’s lawyer insists his client is not a terrorist.
McDonald’s worker arrested over spit-in-cup incident
SIMPSONVILLE — A South Carolina county’s deputies said a McDonald’s employee spit in two customers’ cups of iced tea after the drinks were returned because they weren’t sweet enough.
Authorities said 19-year-old Marvin Washington Jr. was arrested Wednesday and charged with malicious tampering with food.
Greenville County investigators said surveillance video caught Mr. Washington leaning over the cups before he filled them Saturday at the Simpsonville restaurant.
Authorities say the customers discovered phlegm when they removed the lids of the drinks to add more sugar because the iced tea still was not sweet enough.
Air traveler strips naked to protest TSA screening
PORTLAND — A high-tech worker who stripped naked at Portland International Airport as a protest against airport security screeners said Wednesday he was being “nude but not lewd,” and characterized his act of defiance as protected political speech.
John E. Brennan, 49, of Portland was charged with disorderly conduct and indecent exposure after taking off far more than this belt and shoes during the screening process before a Tuesday evening flight to San Jose, Calif.
TWT Video Picks
The subsidies are a hit with patients who don't exist
- Hamas rejects Kerry's call for cease-fire; Fears grow others could join fight against Israel
- 'We're coming for you, Barack Obama': Top U.S. official discloses threat from ISIL terrorists
- Algerian plane diverted due to storms, second aircraft: 116 missing
- Obama's empty tough-talk: Gun prosecutions plummet on his watch
- House panel OKs resolution to sue president for Obamacare delays
- Conservative groups decry Democrats' 'war on women' tactic
- Obama says public not familiar enough with issues
- Evidence shows Russia firing artillery into Ukraine: Pentagon
- Astronaut shares 'saddest photo' from space: Bombs bursting over Israel, Gaza
- Doctor, 2 others shot at Pennsylvania hospital: reports
Obama's biggest White House 'fails'
Celebrities turned politicians
Athletes turned actors
20 gadgets that changed the world
Fighting in Iraq