- Dogs that talk: Researchers seek $10K for ‘No More Woof’ technology
- 1,000 firefighters called to battle stubborn Big Sur wildfire
- Black Friday brouhaha: Millions of Target shoppers hit by credit card theft
- Britain orders airplane to rescue citizens from violent South Sudan
- Mega Millions winner emerges as Georgia mom, in ‘disbelief’
- ‘Duck Dynasty’ Phil Robertson suspended ‘indefinitely’ for gay comments
- John Podesta eats crow: ‘I apologize to Speaker Boehner’
- U.S., China race to finish line on ‘invisibility cloak’
- Obama ‘cavalier’ in hiding foreign aid order, judge rules
- Prince Charles: Muslims are driving Christians from Mideast through persecution
Lawsuit claims ‘Bachelor’ show discriminates
Question of the Day
NASHVILLE, TENN. (AP) - Two black men are taking “The Bachelor” and “The Bachelorette” to court with a lawsuit that claims the reality shows are blocking contestants of color from starring roles.
Nathaniel Claybrooks and Christopher Johnson filed a federal lawsuit in Nashville Wednesday against the popular TV shows claiming they are engaged in a pattern of racial discrimination that intentionally excludes people of color. The Nashville men said at a casting call in August that they were given scant consideration compared to white men seeking a leading role for “The Bachelor.”
Claybrooks said white applicants were given far more time and consideration during the interview process.
“I only wanted a fair shot at the part,” said the soft-spoken Claybrooks, a 39-year-old college graduate and electric company meter reader who owns several small businesses. “Looking back at how I was treated at the casting call last year, it was clear that that wasn’t possible. I never even had a chance.”
Their attorneys said it is the first racial discrimination lawsuit filed against a reality show. It does not ask for a specific dollar amount of damages, but it does propose to make major changes in how people are seen on TV.
The two men say that after 10 years and a combined total of 23 seasons of “The Bachelor” and “The Bachelorette,” neither show has featured a single person of color in a central role. The reality show features about 25 prospective brides competing for the heart of a single guy. The gender roles reverse in its sister show, “The Bachelorette.”
Both shows have come under fire in recent years for not having enough diversity.
The lawsuit names Michael Fleiss, the creator of the shows, as well as ABC, Warner Horizon Television, Next Entertainment and NZK Productions. Calls and emails to Fleiss’ publicist and an email to an ABC publicist were not immediately returned.
Warner Horizon Television released a statement late Wednesday evening saying the complaint is baseless and without merit.
“We have had various participants of color throughout the series’ history, and the producers have been consistently _ and publicly _ vocal about seeking diverse candidates for both programs. As always, we continue to seek out participants of color for both `The Bachelor’ and `The Bachelorette,’” the statement reads.
The lawsuit claims that white applicants are featured prominently because of a calculation that “minorities in lead roles and interracial dating in unappealing to the shows’ audience.”
“The refusal to hire minority applicants is a conscious attempt to minimize the risk of alienating their majority-white viewership and the advertisers targeting that viewership,” the lawsuit says. “Nevertheless, such discrimination is impermissible under federal law.”
Critics have said the shows do not have diverse leading men and women because a segment of Americans aren’t ready to see interracial courting and romance on primetime television. Creator Fleiss has publicly said that the shows’ producers have tried to be more inclusive, but for whatever reason, minorities aren’t applying.
Johnson, a 26-year-old teacher who was just hired to coach high school football, said at a news conference that when he went to the casting call, he was stopped immediately by a show representative and asked what he was doing at the hotel where the men were applying for the lead role.
He said he was only given the opportunity to hand in some materials, even as white applicants appeared to be given further consideration at the hotel.
By Andrew P. Napolitano
Fourth Amendment says Obama is not at liberty to collect metadata
- U.S. Army mulls wiping out memory of Robert E. Lee, 'Stonewall' Jackson
- Half of America strips religion from Christmas
- Gov't wasted $30 billion on 'pillownauts,' crystal goblets -- buying human urine!
- Duck Dynasty Phil Robertson suspended indefinitely for gay comments
- Obama's own panel rips NSA spying on phone calls of Americans
- BOLTON: Nero in the White House
- Armed response, not restrictive gun laws, brought swift end to school shooting
- Pa. police pull people over for random DNA tests for feds
- President gets budget win -- but only by staying out of negotiations
- 'Duck Dynasty' star Phil Robertson: Gays 'wont inherit the kingdom of God'
Independent voices from the The Washington Times Communities
Covering the world of soccer, including the World Cup, Major League Soccer, D.C. United and the English Premier League and other interesting sporting events.
Lists of top ten movies, songs, funny moments, fashion statements, automobiles, children's names, stupid celebrity moments, first dates, last dates, weddings, and much, much more.
Right-brain investing in a left-brain world. You can do it. I can help.
News and views on the Civil War.
Top 10 handguns in the U.S.
Extraordinary day at Redskins Park
White House pets gone wild!
Let it snow